• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5K to buy a watch - what to get?!!

Brabus420

Reaction score
OK, ready to get a nice watch for myself and need some opinions. I know there is a Appreciation watch thread but it is over 200 pages long and I'm a little specific about what I am looking for but need some advice. Here is my criteria.

1. Will wear mostly going out on weekends
2. I am 30 years old - so I want a classic, sophisticated, but sporty style
3. Looking for a watch with a metal band
4. Complete silver color watch - dial and bezel color can vary
5. Not too large (I'm 5'11" but have thin wrists so I don't want to sport a dumbell on my arm)
6. Not an Omega (I have a Seamaster already which I love - from my dad), Tag, or Movado,
7. Want a reputable brand but not 'played out'
8. 5 thousand budget (MSRP)

I guess I'm pretty picky, but really looking for a watch that I will keep forever or at least a very long time.

All comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IWC Portguese Auto Chrono. But it's relatively large.

N.N.O.P

Reaction score
check out "cuervos y sobrinos" a cuban brand, started in the 1800's with wearers such as Einstein, Winston Churchill, Ernest Hemingway and Clarke Gable. Now owned by a swiss co' with all original styles, excellent movements, very cool!

decorum

Reaction score
i know you can get a rolex for that much.

i like Baume & Mercier, Longines some times, and Ebel. but for Ebel i prefer their leather bands.

good luck and let us know what you go with.

Brabus420

Reaction score
Thanks for the recs. If you could attach a pic when replying that would be great. I do like the IWC. Do they make them with metal bands. The Ulysse Nardin is nice but a little too busy for my liking. Keep them coming. If it helps any, I am planning on buying at Torneau as I have a slight hookup discount there.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rolex explorer 1- no question. sleek, simple, goes with everything, runs like a tank and does not scream rolex in the way a sub or gmt would.
i would get a used one from a reliable seller on timezone- around 3000 usd i believe.
at that price it will hold its value and may even appreciate should you ever choose to sell in future.
on this topic look at the sartorialists post around 10 days ago on what women tend to think about men with big watches- while they favour big watches on themselves they often feel the man is 'compensating' for something. funnily enough this confirmed the feeling i always had with my panerai.. felt i might as well buy a sports car.

ekinwang

Reaction score
there are a lot of options, but if this is a sentimental first purchase, i would recommend a classic piece that will retain value. you really can't go wrong with a role as it retains value better than most. i went through the same search a couple years ago, and found for that price, there is a wide variety of choices available.

a couple brands i looked at; rolex, panerai, iwc, omega, blancpain, breitling, sinn... most of these can be had for under 5K from TZ as suggested above.

becareful though, its an addictive hobby... i ended up with a no-date submariner as my first purchase, but added a panerai 001 and breitling navitmer to the collection shortly after!

good luck!

Mathew J

Reaction score
I'd look at something from Omega, Speedmaster, Planet Ocean, and Aqua Terra are great places to start...sorry didn't see you said no Omega, though still feel they are the best in that bracket.

Personally I would stay away from the Explorer 1 mentioned above, I had one and it was painfully boring, seemed small, and for what they charge you can get any number of better watches for alot less money

Now I own a Rolex Sub and an Omega Aqua Terra and the Omega was about a third as much and seemingly a nicer watch...

IWC is another good one to look at in that price range.

Good luck

Also if it is sentimental I wouldn't worry about value retention as you won't be selling anyway...I know I always think of selling my Rolex but because it has some sentimental value I am stuck with it.

daniele6

Reaction score
Swatch + Anderson & Sheppard 3 piece suit.
bigstar[1].gif

sfo423

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
IWC Portuguese Automatic. You say no leather band, but I would reconsider.
/IW3714-17.html[/url]

+1. And you'll have a few pesos left over after-wards (if you buy used)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads