• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5EP x Styleforum jean: poll and opinions

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I'd rather have different offerings of inseams. Getting stuff hemmed is annoying and risky with raw jeans when we have no history of amount of shrinkage.

How is getting them hemmed any more risky than buying a shorter inseam. Get them hemmed to a 32 or buy them as a 32, what's the difference? You're screwed wither way if they shrink.

I think anything less than a 34 inseam would be a mistake, and with no real benefits. Just look at all of the people that couldn't buy Rag & Bone in a 32x34 and can't buy Sugarcane or numerous other Japanese brands because of the inseam. Short people have every damn choice in the world, hehe.

The way I see it, a long inseam is negative for shorter people only in the fact that getting them hemmed is a slight additional expensive. A short inseam is a negative for taller people because it makes the damn things useless.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
How is getting them hemmed any more risky than buying a shorter inseam. Get them hemmed to a 32 or buy them as a 32, what's the difference? You're screwed wither way if they shrink.

I think anything less than a 34 inseam would be a mistake, and with no real benefits. Just look at all of the people that couldn't buy Rag & Bone in a 32x34 and can't buy Sugarcane or numerous other Japanese brands because of the inseam. Short people have every damn choice in the world, hehe.

The way I see it, a long inseam is negative for shorter people only in the fact that getting them hemmed is a slight additional expensive. A short inseam is a negative for taller people because it makes the damn things useless.

My point is that I'd rather have options, but if you're going to have one size I'd rather have something manageable. A 32 that is really a 34 would be fine. I honestly don't think there are that many people that take an inseam longer than a true 34" which is what the 5EP raw has. I'm 6'1" and the 5EP resin about 1" too long for me.

denimaddict

Reaction score
I liked that maroon buttons idea, whoever said it. Maroon donut buttons.... Except the top button, that would just be regular.

This is gonna be a
boxing[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
My point is that I'd rather have options, but if you're going to have one size I'd rather have something manageable. A 32 that is really a 34 would be fine. I honestly don't think there are that many people that take an inseam longer than a true 34" which is what the 5EP raw has. I'm 6'1" and the 5EP resin about 1" too long for me.
I haven't hemmed my APCNS and I wouldn't want them any shorter. I say 35"+ inseam, and if you need them shorter get them hemmed. This is a very limited run so I don't think we are going to be able to make a huge range of waist/inseam combos.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I haven't hemmed my APCNS and I wouldn't want them any shorter. I say 35"+ inseam, and if you need them shorter get them hemmed. This is a very limited run so I don't think we are going to be able to make a huge range of waist/inseam combos.

Yeah, but the APC also isn't a low rise jean. If it's low rise and sits on your hips, 34" inseam is going to be pretty long.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Exactly, they're jeans not slacks. Make them 34-35 and those who like them long can keep them as is and those who want them to look like khakis can have them hemmed.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about a long inseam based on a normal size 32, so that it's straight from the knee down and just longer than usual? Because if you're actually elongating entire leg cut or even the entire cut as a whole (including the rise, etc), that's nowhere near the same thing, and hemming a 34 length would not give you a 32. It would give you a high rise 32 with bizarrely long thighs and short calves.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Are you talking about a long inseam based on a normal size 32, so that it's straight from the knee down and just longer than usual? Because if you're actually elongating entire leg cut or even the entire cut as a whole (including the rise, etc), that's nowhere near the same thing, and hemming a 34 length would not give you a 32. It would give you a high rise 32 with bizarrely long thighs and short calves.

Yeah, if the jean tapers it's not going to look the same if hemmed as well.

nastyandy

Reaction score
If they are one uniform length, at an extreme of 36", the proportions will change when they are hemmed. The knee hits at different places for different heights of people; taller people have not just longer calves, but longer quads.

So I think it's necessary to have different inseams. I always have to have mine hemmed; I'm 5'5 and I wear 28" inseam.

Also, I would prefer straight leg. I wouldn't personally buy them if they are tapered.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't a 34-35" length a bit extreme, the average height of a man is 5'9", not 6'4".

Since this is supposedly a limited low run StyleForum jean, why not just have a thread of those who definitely want to buy with their waist and length they want and create based on that? They'd have to be pretty much handmade anyways. Or perhaps create various waist sizes with unfinishd bottoms and as people order the bottoms are hemmed in house.

cp1919

Reaction score
sz 28/34 please. i got the one wash straight down. love the denim, fit is very good, but not the best. wish the 5ep x sf jean would have:
  • chinchback,
  • fit like nando nando, or xx005 w/ a higher rise,
  • 5ep resin denim,
  • button fly (painted copper doughnut buttons will be lovely!),
  • hidden rivets,
  • custom weaved pocket linings,
  • hidden leather patch inside backpocket with 5ep and sf logo, and # of limited edition,
  • 5ep watchpocket (very functional),
  • same blank waist patch,
  • affordable price

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PC works fine with a single long inseam length. That's certainly the way to make these jeans appealing to the largest number of people. Assuming a slim/straight a la PBJ XX-005 or a slight taper a la New Standard, the long inseam will work for everyone.

5ep denim, details and construction with a democratic slim cut = jean nirvana to me.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
APC works fine with a single long inseam length. That's certainly the way to make these jeans appealing to the largest number of people. Assuming a slim/straight a la PBJ XX-005 or a slight taper a la New Standard, the long inseam will work for everyone.

+1

This was my hobbyhorse a while back; I really want some 5EP, but their inseams just don't work for me. Wouldn't it be easy just to do a 32x36 and a 34x36, and maybe a 30x36 if demand warrants?

Even if it turns out that I can't get a pair because of sizing issues, this is a great idea - nice jorb, Fok.
worship.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
ok... heres what id like.

size 30
waist-30
front rise-10"
back rise- 14"
thigh-11" across
knee-9" across
hem-8" across
inseam-36"

15oz denim. button fly. one arrow on one back pocket, one blank back pocket. one wash denim. burr rivets.

What he said, except for the crazy long inseam and the one back pocket stitching; it makes me feel lopsided.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads