• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5ep x SF vs. Esef vs. Naked and Famous

DeadDJ

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new pair of "jeans." I'm pretty sure I'll go with Naked and Famous Silk, but I'd like to hear your opinions on all of these. I want a lighter pair for summer though if I get the 5ep x SF I'd just let my current APC's fade. I have no issue with skinny or slim.

Which would you get and why?

Esef Sky - Slim, not skinny. Light, 21oz. Generally heard good things about the Ori.
SkyDenim1.jpg
SkyDenim2.jpg

Naked and Famous Silk Denim. 12oz, light, skinny.
And on the Denim Bar blog http://thedenimbar.blogspot.com/sear...&max-results=7
skinnyguy_silk_01.jpg
skinnyguy_silk_03.jpg

5ep x SF - You can see the pictures in the thread if you don't already know, fool.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=43256
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=44245

DeadDJ

Reaction score
I thought, besides my self serving interests, that it would be a nice criticism between the brands. And that it would get lost with one response amongst the small questions thread, as most do. Between this and my trench FS, I can imagine I'm becoming rather unpopular.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your criteria for comparison seems completely random. N&F and ESEF are budget raw denim and 5EPxSF is about as high end as you're going to get. Comparing $260 jeans and $80-100 jeans isn't particularly fair...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
I thought, besides my self serving interests, that it would be a nice criticism between the brands. And that it would get lost with one response amongst the small questions thread, as most do. Between this and my trench FS, I can imagine I'm becoming rather unpopular.
There's a reason why we ask that if you have a question about advice on jeans you put it in the appropriate thread. If you're smart enough to post this in the SW&D forum, why not take it one step further? Drizzt is on the money and it's pretty safe to say it's a sentiment to be echoed. How exactly is it that you need people to DIRECTLY compare three different jeans when: 1) The 5epxsf's have been talked about ad naseum. 2) There's already info on ESEF and the few people who have a pair have already spoken up in detail. 3) There's only limited info on N&F since it's so new. So you add those three bits together and you have me completely confused as to what criticism you expect people not to regurgitate for you. It's been done. It's been said. Do your homework.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's similar to posting a thread like...

Lanvin vs H&M vs Old Navy...

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
I'm looking to buy a new pair of "jeans." I'm pretty sure I'll go with Naked and Famous Silk, but I'd like to hear your opinions on all of these. I want a lighter pair for summer though if I get the 5ep x SF I'd just let my current APC's fade. I have no issue with skinny or slim.

Which would you get and why?

Esef Sky - Slim, not skinny. Light, 21oz. Generally heard good things about the Ori.

I hope you don't mean that the denim weight is light. 21 oz is nowhere near light.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
This was mostly an aesthetic choice for me, thus the widely varying price point and construction. I could easily be wrong, 30% silk seems like a pretty big risk for longevity and Esef for quality control. By "light" I meant color but I wrote it wrong, clearly.

Point taken, I'll let it die, or someone delete it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'll entertain the question, since I just got in my Vintage Blue N&F from denimbar....

Having all 3 (SFx5EP, esef, N&F)...

there's no doubt the 5EP rule over all. It's easily in my top 5 all time jeans. The denim is SICK, great teal-cast denim that is really great looking and complex. No other denim i've seen looks like this. Really cool hardware on the rivets. The fit is great, a true slimfit, but not skinny.

esef....I have the ori. As a "budget" jean, it's probably one of the best. I like this much more than APC NS. The denim is thick at 15oz but it's comfortable. It's easy to button/unbutton the fly right when it's raw, rigid and new. The fit is also great. My idea of a perfect slim fit. Very very similar to the 5EP, fitwise. The 5EPs give me a slight hip flare which the esef's don't. I like the Ori enough that I just ordered a pair of the Sky's a few days ago which I can't wait for since it's the same cut, just a soft 21oz denim

Naked & Famous.....ordered the vintage blue and decided to also get the black selvedge. The black selvedge I don't like. I'll be returning it unfortunately. It has a slight bootcut fit (8" at knee and 8.625 at hem) and I'm just not into it. The vintage blue is AWESOME. fit-wise, we're talking a similar fit to esef and 5EP. The denim is a cool color, just what I've been wanting. It's a no-frills jean, nothing to rave over but it fits really ******* good and the color is unique. I've never been into the exposed coin pocket selvedge but that's not a dealbreaker.

The comparison should be between esef and N&F, as 5EP is in a different league. Between esef and N&F, they're different enough for me that i need both. But if I were gonna get an indigo selvedge jean, I would go with esef Ori over N&F

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Another point with ESEF is that you can talk directly to the founder and ask him questions about the products.
Yeah but you can always PM Godmother of 5ep.
smile.gif
I say go with 5ep. The quality, details, and cut are all fantastic. 5ep is really leaps and bounds above both ESEF and N&F.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
after wearing the N&F for a few days now, I wouldnt put them in the same category as esef. The esefs seem better made/detailed. N&F "weird guy" has a good cut, but the stitching isnt as clean as esef, and while the N&F denim is fine enough....I'd give esef the edge in that category too. plus, the screened image on the inside of esef front pocket is a nice touch/detail, as is the embroidered back pocket leaf...which I'm assuming will look cool once the denim is faded adn worn down so the leaf becomes a bit more prominent

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads