• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5ep - What did I buy?

mikee

Reaction score
So I picked up a pair of 5ep jeans on sale at Famous Friends yesterday and am now trying to figure out what model/wash I bought (dry denim newbie here). I'd ask the store, but they're closed til Wednesday and there's no model marking or tag on the jeans.

Are they the Straight Downs or the Low Down Bootcuts?
Are they Resin One Wash or Dry?
How much will they shrink after soaking?
- The length is a bit long for my liking. If they're dry, I'd like to soak and shrink so they wear and honeycomb in the right places. Though if they're one wash, then I'm thinking about hemming them before wearing - I'm guessing one wash shrinks less than the dry version, right?

Size: 29x32
Inseam: 34"
Front Rise: 11"
Back Rise: 15"
Width at Knee: 7 3/4"
Hem: 8 1/4"

Apologies for the crappy photos.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look straight and dry, but I don't own them, so Im not certain.

However, they look ******* great. Color me jealous.

Ahaz

Reaction score
The look like the Straight model to me, especially with that rise. Dry too. I would be wary about assuming they will do most of their shrinking in a soak. In other words, I wouldn't be quick to hem them if they don't end up where you like them after a soak.

Others may disagree, though.

mikee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
The look like the Straight model to me, especially with that rise. Dry too. I would be wary about assuming they will do most of their shrinking in a soak. In other words, I wouldn't be quick to hem them if they don't end up where you like them after a soak. Others may disagree, though.
I thought they were the bootcut when I bought them. Combed through some old posts which said the bootcuts were really slight and the rise was only slightly less than the straight. And that they have button fly and the straights don't. What do I know though. I'm thoroughly confused. Thanks for the tip on the hemming. I'll definitely have to err on the safe side.

mikee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigwhale
Thats a damn good price.

They still had a number of pairs left yesterday in various sizes. I was a bit surprised since the sale started Friday.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are bootcuts. The straights are zip fly. The bootcut is very imperceptible. The main difference is in the seat, which is more fitted in the bootcut than in the straight downs, which are antifit (and my wife hates them.)

They are also dry, and will shrink down (unlike the resin washed model) about a full size, maybe a bit more, and lose maybe an inch or so in length.

Fok.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
I always hear of size 29 5EPs, and it seems like you can usually find them when sale time comes, but are there size 28s floating around? I'm going to guess that stores simply stock fewer, if any, 28s. Has anyone ever seen any of the resin bootcuts in this size (and especially on sale)?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5EP must not sell too well, seems like they are always available when sale season comes

tangerine

Reaction score
^ Yeah, I've noticed this too. I think they are under most people's radars.

mikee

Reaction score
Thanks for the info LA Guy. Thought they'd shrink a bit more than an inch since they're dry. Anyhow, I'll give em a good soak and see what happens.

The salesguy said they sold a lot stuff on Saturday. Looking at the Famous Friends sale thread, looks like they did! I'm glad that the 5eps are under the radar - quite happy with them being my first dry denim jeans.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
aren't 5EP on Fok's top 10 list? or was it Brian SD's? their hardware looks really handsome, though. would love a pair of those myself in future.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get the 5ep Straight in resin or worn in size 36 on sale? Any help appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads