• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

5ep: A Styleforum Consensus

Largo

Reaction score
A question for the more denim-literate regarding 5ep jeans. I'd scoured the forums and see that they're in pretty high regard among you all, but wasn't sure how good they are, overall. I'd stumbled across a pair of the Dark Worn Bootcuts, and didn't find the distressing to be too overbearing, and therefore was curious what everyone thought.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what the original retail was, but I'd say almost certainly, provided you don't mind the 12" rise.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Largo
A question for the more denim-literate regarding 5ep jeans. I'd scoured the forums and see that they're in pretty high regard among you all, but wasn't sure how good they are, overall.

I'd stumbled across a pair of the Dark Worn Bootcuts, and didn't find the distressing to be too overbearing, and therefore was curious what everyone thought. The detailing and selvage is nice, but of course the real kicker is that they were/are 70% off.

Worth it?

AT 70% off, those would be something around $90 or so, right? Definitely worth it. 5EP does a really good job of distressing so that it look right, imo. Of course, they have to fit you!

Largo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
AT 70% off, those would be something around $90 or so, right? Definitely worth it. 5EP does a really good job of distressing so that it look right, imo. Of course, they have to fit you!

Yep, 90 dollars on the nose. So, all in all 5ep is a pretty good quality brand, then? I do like the distressing, but wasn't sure regarding the actual quality of the denim and construction.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There quality is probably the best of the American brands, IMO at least. They are worth full price, let alone 70% off.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Saw the rosso 430, didn't know there were car guys on here. Congrats.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Rag and Bone and 5EP seem to be the top US denim makers right now. Sorry Levi's.

Largo

Reaction score
Well, that settles that! Tomorrow=shopping!!!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
12" rise? No thanks

The bootcut is actually about 11" rise, maybe slightly less. The straight downs are a full 12" though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'll make a shameless moderator plug: 5EP are my favorite jeans of any origin (American, Japanese, Swedish) that I've ever had. So please, go for it.

seen

Reaction score
Any one know any sales for Rag & Bone jeans?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
So Brian SD, do you just wear them up at the natural waist then? I recall you saying that you weren't much of an antifit kinda guy in some other thread, somewhere. The rise on the 5ep's has always sort of put me off a bit, notwithstanding the awesome denim quality.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also think the 5ep bootcut are the best jeans I've ever owned. The quality and the details are perfect. My only caveat - be sure to get the right size. I bought mine on ebay and learned the hard way that they run about 2 sizes big.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.