• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$58: For the small guys... Hickey Freeman Custom suit 37/38s

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$58 + shipping

Okay, when I first picked this suit up, I instantly thought it was from the 60's. The fabric, the narrow lapels, totally had me thinking 60's. Yeah, I looked at the union tag and it's from the early 90's. But, this is a really cool suit.

First of all: In my flash pictures, the suit looks blue. It isn't. It is really gray, and this true color is shown in the close ups. The fabric is really interesting, one of the more two tone wools I've seen. Is this sharkskin? I'm not sure. But it's pretty cool looking. I would describe it as midweight.

Measurements
Jacket:
Details: Fully canvassed, 4 button sleeve, 2 button closure, single center vent, darted

Shoulder seam to seam - 17 1/2"
Arm pit to pit - 20"
Waist - 19"
Bottom of collar to hem - 28 1/2"
Sleeve - 23 3/4"

Pants:
Details: 2 rear pockets, flat front, no cuffs

Waist (measured flat, across, doubled): 34"
Rise: 12"
Inseam: 30" (see picture for what's left to let out)

NOT ACCURATE COLOR:
86q7u6u.jpg

ACCURATE COLOR:
6yzi83d.jpg

7x4a5vl.jpg

NOTACCURATE COLOR:
8bqlym0.jpg

85y4qcg.jpg

6t21b2e.jpg

countchocula8

Reaction score
I'm interested, however, the waist on the pants are a couple of inches too big. Do you think they can be taken in ok? Will you post thigh and hem measurements for the pants as well? Thanks.

oh yeah, do you have fit pics as well?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countchocula8
I'm interested, however, the waist on the pants are a couple of inches too big. Do you think they can be taken in ok? Will you post thigh and hem measurements for the pants as well? Thanks.

oh yeah, do you have fit pics as well?

Hmm, I don't know the answer to the pants question. How can you tell if the waist can be taken in? These pants have the "split waistband" at the back too, if that has any affect on it.

I can post those measurements and fit pics tomorrow, just gotta take them.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, just did some quick reading on the forum and it seems that the consensus is that you can get up to 2" without major reconstruction, but it probably also depends on how good your tailor is... also I just measured these laying flat and then doubled the measurements, so it's probably going to wear a bit smaller than 34" (just a guess).

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be all over that if the pants were a 30 waist with a longer inseam.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM sent

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads