• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

501xx Shrink to Fit?

brooklyn

Reaction score
I just bought a pair today and I am not sure what to do next
I have been reading different post on this. Do I wash them in the washing machine to shrink them? Do I put them in a tub of cold or hot water? Inside out?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Soak em in the washer on warm for about 30 minutes, inside out. No detergent/powder. Hang dry them inside out as well. This should be enough to shrink them down to your size. If you are worried about them shrinking too much, hang em up for about two hours outside, then put them on and let them dry on you. They dont have to be SOAKING wet, but if you let them dry on you, you can insure that the fit will be just right.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Also, run another wash cycle with your other jeans right after, so that your roommates/family don't end up with blue socks.

ringring

Reaction score
Brian's way is great.

Here's another way (it's the method some of my japanese denim nerd friends do it). Soak them, inside out, in a container of cold water for 3 hours. Change the water a few times.

Spin in a machine to get rid of most of the water. (just spin, no heat).

When they come out they should be just damp. Then put them on and let them dry on the body.

brooklyn

Reaction score
I soaked them in water this morning for about 1hour.  There was a lot of dye that came off the jeans.  I then took them outside and took the garden hose to them.  Probaly not the best idea but I wanted to take some more od the dye off of the jeans.  Since it was a decent day outside I let them dry outside for a few hours and brought them inside to finish.  I havent tried them on yet but they seem as stiff as a board. I hope they will be worth it?

Wish me luck.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I soaked them in water this morning for about 1hour. There was a lot of dye that came off the jeans. I then took them outside and took the garden hose to them. Probaly not the best idea but I wanted to take some more od the dye off of the jeans. Since it was a decent day outside I let them dry outside for a few hours and brought them inside to finish. I havent tried them on yet but they seem as stiff as a board. I hope they will be worth it? Wish me luck.
Sounds about right. THey will soften up. After 4-5 wears, they should be just as easy to wear as other Levi's. AFter 10-15 wears, they'll be like Paper Denims
smile.gif

brooklyn

Reaction score
It may take some time to do since I only wear my jeans on the weekend. I will probably wear them around the house whenever I can. Will the dye wear off on stuff? chairs? carpet? sofa?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I do is wait for a warm day, put the jeans on and soak in the tub for about 10 to 20 minutes. Then I try to squeeze as much of the water out, and then let the jeans dry on me. Warning.... YOU WILL BE DRIPPING BLUE.. so have rags on the floor and over the chairs. And your lower half will look like you are an honourary member of the "Blue Man Group".

mkk

Reaction score
(T4Phage) What I do is wait for a warm day, put the jeans on and soak in the tub for about 10 to 20 minutes. Then I try to squeeze as much of the water out, and then let the jeans dry on me. Warning.... YOU WILL BE DRIPPING BLUE.. so have rags on the floor and over the chairs. And your lower half will look like you are an honourary member of the "Blue Man Group".
May I ask what Mrs. T4Phage thinks of all this?
tounge.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4Phage) What I do is wait for a warm day, put the jeans on and soak in the tub for about 10 to 20 minutes. Â Then I try to squeeze as much of the water out, and then let the jeans dry on me. Â Warning.... YOU WILL BE DRIPPING BLUE.. so have rags on the floor and over the chairs. Â And your lower half will look like you are an honourary member of the "Blue Man Group".
May I ask what Mrs. T4Phage thinks of all this? Â
tounge.gif

She threatened to take a photo and get it digitalized and then to email it to all my friends...
sad.gif
I have to scrub the bathtub to get rid of the blue ring... and woe betide me if I drip on the carpet.

brooklyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Does this mean if it rains I wil turn Blue?

brooklyn

Reaction score
Wish me luck.
Sounds about right. THey will soften up. After 4-5 wears, they should be just as easy to wear as other Levi's. AFter 10-15 wears, they'll be like Paper Denims
smile.gif
[/quote] I hope your right? I tried them on today and they are almost unwearable. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process without damaging the denim?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If we are talking about the plain regular Levi's 501s, then you should use one of the "dry on you" methods. The reason they feel so stiff is that you let them drip dry or whatever. You need to move around in them while they're a little damp. Personally, I bought 517s (though not shrink-to-fit, IIRC) a short while back, and I wore them straight from the store for a while and then put them in the wash and the dryer inside-out. I don't suggest drying them all the way in the dryer, because they always seem to develop random vertical creases in the legs when I do that. I took them out of the dryer still a little damp and steam ironed them flat, then wore them. You'll need to wear and wash them a LOT before they really break in. I've worn mine probably 30 times since I bought them and they are still pretty stiff, but I like them that way.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh yeah, it also helps to sleep in them, work on cars, rustle cows, do the wino crawl through gutters, get in barfights, etc.

I have done all but the cows and the barfights in mine so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads