• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

501XX 1947 Questions

Chapin

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've been searching the forums, but still haven't found any answers to my questions. I was about to buy a pair of LVC 47 501s but right before I ordered them I noticed the left outside seam was twisted around to the front in the photo. I went to two other websites and saw the seam was twisted in the photos they had too. Is this how all of them were made? If that's the case I would rather get Sugar Canes, but I wanted my first pair of nice jeans to be the original.

I was also wondering if 2" is enough shrink room for the waist and inseam. I'm a 32 so I was going to order a 34 but I want to wear them low on the waist. Will 34 be big enough or should I go to a 36?

And the last question, I live in Minneapolis and need to buy online. Besides the official Levi's site and Hanon Shop are there any other sites I could order from or should check out first?

Thanks a ton, Chapin

Here's the pic...
LVC501.jpg

minya

Reaction score
all LVC jeans twist, and all Sugarcanes do too.

nairb49

Reaction score
minya's right, all jeans will twist.

If you buy the jeans in the raw state you'll start off without a twist though, regardless of which brand.

Cake

Reaction score
This is a result of the right hand twill used in most jeans, sometimes viewed as a "defect" which gave rise to the broken twill (zig zag) weave in some jeans (beginning with Wrangler in 1964) which eliminated this problem. A recent example includes the Diesel Farco. Or "go left" for the twist to go the other way.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep... my 45 canes twist the other way.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chapin
And the last question, I live in Minneapolis and need to buy online. Besides the official Levi's site and Hanon Shop are there any other sites I could order from or should check out first?
Check out AEROLEATHER

modual

Reaction score
I keep mine 47's for historical purposes but does anyone else find them to be an "awkward" fitting jean and not actually where them ?

giantreptile

Reaction score
i found that the seams twist less if you have control over the first wash (ie buy raw). if you buy a one-wash pair, they'll be twisted (more so for sugar canes). either way, some twisting is unavoidable. but denim yokels eat that **** up.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont feel right when my seams are straight.

Shorty Long

Reaction score
if you live in the states...i don't think it would make much sense to buy the jeans from an overseas website...you'll probably be paying at least $30-$35 more for the same jeans

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shorty Long
if you live in the states...i don't think it would make much sense to buy the jeans from an overseas website...you'll probably be paying at least $30-$35 more for the same jeans

agreed, these can be had for retail on ebay

Chapin

Reaction score
Thanks for the all the info everybody. And pointing me to aeroleather. That site is great. I don't think I'm enough of a denim junkie to embrace a twisted seam, maybe in a year.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Have you never worn a pair of regular levis stf, they have the twist too. I don't think the leg twist should bother you too much. It isn't even noticable when you wear them. You are gonna miss out on so much nice denim.

familyman

Reaction score
Doesn't all non-broken twill twist? Like, all of it? High end, low end, it's a characteristic of the fabric, no? Denim twists.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads