501XX 1947 Questions

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Chapin, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Chapin

Chapin Member

Hi everybody,
    I've been searching the forums, but still haven't found any answers to my questions. I was about to buy a pair of LVC 47 501s but right before I ordered them I noticed the left outside seam was twisted around to the front in the photo. I went to two other websites and saw the seam was twisted in the photos they had too. Is this how all of them were made? If that's the case I would rather get Sugar Canes, but I wanted my first pair of nice jeans to be the original.

I was also wondering if 2" is enough shrink room for the waist and inseam. I'm a 32 so I was going to order a 34 but I want to wear them low on the waist. Will 34 be big enough or should I go to a 36?

And the last question, I live in Minneapolis and need to buy online. Besides the official Levi's site and Hanon Shop are there any other sites I could order from or should check out first?

Thanks a ton, Chapin

Here's the pic...
    [​IMG]

2. minya

minya Senior member

all LVC jeans twist, and all Sugarcanes do too.

3. nairb49

nairb49 Senior member

minya's right, all jeans will twist.

If you buy the jeans in the raw state you'll start off without a twist though, regardless of which brand.

4. Cake

Cake Well-Known Member

This is a result of the right hand twill used in most jeans, sometimes viewed as a "defect" which gave rise to the broken twill (zig zag) weave in some jeans (beginning with Wrangler in 1964) which eliminated this problem. A recent example includes the Diesel Farco. Or "go left" for the twist to go the other way.

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

yep... my 45 canes twist the other way.

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

And the last question, I live in Minneapolis and need to buy online. Besides the official Levi's site and Hanon Shop are there any other sites I could order from or should check out first?
    Check out AEROLEATHER

7. modual

modual Senior member

I keep mine 47's for historical purposes but does anyone else find them to be an "awkward" fitting jean and not actually where them ?

8. giantreptile

giantreptile Active Member

i found that the seams twist less if you have control over the first wash (ie buy raw). if you buy a one-wash pair, they'll be twisted (more so for sugar canes). either way, some twisting is unavoidable. but denim yokels eat that shit up.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

10. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

i dont feel right when my seams are straight.

11. Shorty Long

Shorty Long Senior member

if you live in the states...i don't think it would make much sense to buy the jeans from an overseas website...you'll probably be paying at least $30-$35 more for the same jeans

12. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

if you live in the states...i don't think it would make much sense to buy the jeans from an overseas website...you'll probably be paying at least $30-$35 more for the same jeans

agreed, these can be had for retail on ebay

13. Chapin

Chapin Member

Thanks for the all the info everybody. And pointing me to aeroleather. That site is great. I don't think I'm enough of a denim junkie to embrace a twisted seam, maybe in a year.

14. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

Have you never worn a pair of regular levis stf, they have the twist too. I don't think the leg twist should bother you too much. It isn't even noticable when you wear them. You are gonna miss out on so much nice denim.

15. familyman

familyman Senior member

Doesn't all non-broken twill twist? Like, all of it? High end, low end, it's a characteristic of the fabric, no? Denim twists.
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.