• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

501-style jeans, how high?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not used to wearing tight-ish jeans that aren't low rise.

I've traditionally worn my low rise jeans about an inch below the front-top of my hipbone (if that makes sense) and have usually gotten by with a 32 inch waist.

I've been under the impression I'm supposed to wear 501s above my hipbone, and have been wearing mine so that my belt is completely above my hip bone

The waist is pretty loose, and without a belt it would fall down to where I wear my low-rise jeans.

Where do most people wear their 501s?

Can I get by with wearing them high and not having a belt?

Do people size down when buying non-lowrise jeans?
(I feel a 31 waist might fit better wearing high).

Thanks for your help (as well as all the help on my other questions), I'm one of those people who likes to be 100% certain before buying anything.

thereverend

Reaction score
I wear mine probably at the same level as when I wear low rise jeans, but sometimes up higher depending upon whether or not I am wearing a belt.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear them with my belt going directly across my hip bone. no higher.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say experiment and do whatever looks good; the nice thing about STFs is that they come in a ton of waist/inseam combos, so you can adjust inseams or cuff as needed. Also, there's a lot of complaining about the high rise on 501s, but according to the first post in this handy thread right heeyah... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...surement+index ...they're no higher than APC Rescues or Eternal 811s, two brands which are (rightly) regarded as holy grails 'round here. Just something to keep in mind. Edit: Experimenting is also best because getting a good fit depends in large part on your leg/torso ratio, which can vary alot from person to person. Plus STFs are mad cheap, so you can afford to play around with fits.

Empire

Reaction score
I find if i wear my Lvc 47's on my hip bone the thigh of the jeans sticks out like i'm wearing jodpurs which is a bad look obviously. If i wear them on the waist like they're made to be worn then they sit much better through the whole leg. So yeah i say wear the jeans where they're designed to sit. Low rise on the hips. Higher rise above the hips.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My Uniqlo greenlines, AFAIK are a 501 fit and I wear them with my belt over (on) the hipbones. Otherwise they look weird.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get waist sizing.

If I run a tape meassure around my wait, I get 36 inches around my hips and maybe 36 above my hipbone.

but most size 32 pants are too big, and I can't wear size 33s at all.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have you measured your actual waist? It's the narrowest part of your abdomen, right near your navel.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah it's around 34.

When I try 501s on at the store. 32's fit fine, and 31s won't even buckle.
...but my 32s (worn about a week, and washed in hot water to shrink) are really loose in the waist and on top, there's al sorts of unsightly vertical folds.

thereverend

Reaction score
Buy 31's, let them stretch for a week, and voilá, perfect fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads