• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$5000 For School Uniform ?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people shell out big bucks for kids clothes when they know kids will outgrow it and treat it like crap? My friends wife brought a $150 dress for their 3-year old daughter who wore it twice on special occasions and outgrew it. He thought it was a stupid amount of money to pay, but he pretended to like it to keep the wife happy. They gave it to their cousin's kid after their daughter outgrew it. The next day they saw that kid wearing it... while playing in the mud.
plain.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm surprised Mr. Mahon is behind it.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it does say they will only retail for £30+, that one just costs so much because it's the 'prototype'...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kid has way too much break in those pants. Heathen.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Why do people shell out big bucks for kids clothes when they know kids will outgrow it and treat it like crap?

It's what wealthy do. Many rich adult women wear a dress once at a big party and then they can't wear it again because everyone would remember the spectacularly vulgar dress.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Why do people shell out big bucks for kids clothes when they know kids will outgrow it and treat it like crap?

My friends wife brought a $150 dress for their 3-year old daughter who wore it twice on special occasions and outgrew it. He thought it was a stupid amount of money to pay, but he pretended to like it to keep the wife happy. They gave it to their cousin's kid after their daughter outgrew it. The next day they saw that kid wearing it... while playing in the mud.
plain.gif

My son starts kindergarten tomorrow. My wife went out of her way to find inexpensive but comfortable uniform clothes for him. Yet I just bought him a Barbour Beaufort that he'll outgrow in a year or two. I can't explain why, I'm normally a rational parent, but you just get into this groove, and . . .

By the way, apparently during the warm months, my son's school allows the kids to wear short sleeve dress shirts. I explained to my wife that I was uncomfortable witht eh short sleeved dress shirt as a concept, and would prefer that our son just wore the long sleeve ones and dealt with the "heat" or rolled his sleeves up. She gave me that look that says "sometimes I forget how crazy you are", and went ahead and ordered a few short sleeved ones.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I'm surprised Mr. Mahon is behind it.

Looks like only the prototype costs that much. Production models will be much closer to $60:

Using only the best fabric, Tom created a hand-made version, resulting in the £2,500 prototype modelled here. Of course, not every parent will want to splash out such a princely sum. And, as this is just a prototype, it will only be available to one lucky bidder. It will, however, be the model for a range set to retail from £30.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'd pay 60$ to have my kid wear a nicer blazer, you wear that stuff everyday for a year. BTW D&G kids is pretty rockin' if you want your 8 y/o daughter to wear a zebra miniskirt.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Note the length of the sleeves and how baggy the pants are. Shame, shame.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Aren't prototypes of cars in the range of millions of dollars?

Incidentally, I think my total school uniform cost back in the day was

GBP 50 for blazer
GBP 20 for trousers
GBP 15 for shirt
GBP 6 for tie
GBP 3 for socks
GBP 25 for shoes

So roughly 100 Pounds. Back then USD - GBP wasn't 2.1 :p

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

coogie

Reaction score
Ha. I went to that boarding school in the picture...
smile.gif
**edit** no i didnt. From the picture it looked like the one i went to

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to cut back on my swearing because I think it's uncouth but this quote is eff-ing stupid as hell.

"Basically, you get what you pay for," he says. "It is important how you dress your kids for school. By dressing them in something cheap you are saying going to school is only worth that much too."

Anything for the sale/spin/promotion though right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads