• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$500 to spend on shoes -- brown full brogue monk?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I got a little (very little) award at work for my exceptional work, of course.

Along with some time off I got $500 before taxes. My wife said to me on our way home, "You should buy yourself a pair of shoes with that. (And put the rest in savings.)" I put the second sentence in parentheses because she sort of said it that way--a less than subtle hint to not spend all of it on shoes as we're still in the middle of home renovations and every dime helps.

I'm thinking a pair of AEs, but I'd rather not pay retail for them. While I need black shoes, I tend to wear black more in the fall and winter and prefer browns for summer. So brown (ish) it is. Or even a spectator, though that might be an extravagance.

I wear a pretty standard 9 so don't seem to find any AEs on EBay (grapevinehill, etc.) in what I'm looking for: a brown full brogue like the McLain (which even comes in a spectator). These don't seem to be on EBay except in a AAA width.

A brown full brogue monk would be even better, but AE doesn't make one (though C&J does have the Chalfont which I freaking love, but it's out of my price range).

So, the questions are:

1. Is there a brown full brogue monk in my price range?
2. Is there a good Nordstrom Rack around the DC area (not the Towson one, that place is horrible) that is more likely to have them? The options are: Potomac Mills, Dulles Town Crossing, Gaithersberg, and Towson.
3. Should I go with AS, cheaper C&J, or something like that and just order from Pediwear? My only problem with that is that I really want to try a bunch on first.
4. I see Sky Valet is having an EG trunk show--not a question, just a lament.

EDIT: I just found these Church's that look very nice but are on sale (not seconds as I originally posted). Any thoughts? I could run by the Church's store that's on my way home and see how this last fits.

thanks guys,
bob

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Personally, I find brogued monks a little too much. I would rather go with a plain toe monk, or perhaps one with a medallion.

I know, you didn't ask that question. Have fun shoe shopping, though!

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the pair of Church's. Treet yourself - you've earned it!

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the Church's

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Not exactly what you're looking for, but what about the AE Mora? They're on sale now. I think the suede looks awesome, but it also comes in a brown.

http://www.endless.com/dp/B000H165HE...236737&sr=1-12

+1, and they'd work with the budget. Or buy two!

Like Alan, I think brogued monks are too busy.
Plain toe or medallioned for me (three pairs of Tramezzas in my closet).

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get a shell cordovan Alden

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...&start=5&rpro=

ALD_m_Monk_Strap_Wing_Tip_Shell_Cordovan_1671.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the exchange rate and shipping the Church's will be be 299 and some change. And they are the "custom grade" which seems a good bargain.

There seems to be much debate about whether they're better than AEs or not given the price difference. Anyone want to add to it.

bob

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, not a fan of the double-monk I have to say.

And those Aldens are pretty, but not brown and too expensive. thanks for the suggestions though, guys.

I realize the full brogue monk is a bit busy, but these aren't for strict business/dress occassions. In particular I'm looking for something to wear with a couple of summer suits I just got. One is a faux-seersucker (don't know what else to call it) from Nautica. It's cream on light light brown--I guess it's sort of a pinstripe. The other is a prince of wales. If need be, I have a pair of plain brown cap-toes.

Philosophe, got a link to your medallioned Tramezzas?

bob

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not exactly what you're looking for, but what about the AE Mora? They're on sale now. I think the suede looks awesome, but it also comes in a brown.

http://www.endless.com/dp/B000H165HE...236737&sr=1-12

Cosign. They look a lot better in person than they do in the pics.

Originally Posted by zjpj83
I'd get a shell cordovan Alden

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...&start=5&rpro=

ALD_m_Monk_Strap_Wing_Tip_Shell_Cordovan_1671.jpg

I always see Aldens that I like (the monk, the Chukka) on the net, then I go to the Alden store and I am always dissapointed. They are just to clunky, the lasts are blah and their shoes just seem to be sad. Surprisingly, I like the calfskin models a lot better than the cordovans.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Personally, I find brogued monks a little too much. I would rather go with a plain toe monk, or perhaps one with a medallion. I know, you didn't ask that question. Have fun shoe shopping, though!
+1, but I'm not the one who'll be wearing them. Here's another option, from Brooks, so probably made by AS: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black Brooks also has a double monk spectator in brown and white. Enjoy!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the Tramezza Merald 2 monks. I'm not crazy about the captoe on a monk but it's probably better than full brogues (less is more on monks imo). If you can find them for < $300, they are great shoes.

mainlargemerald2lz0.jpg

Also, I know you didn't want black but these Tramezza Filosofo are your size (though they run narrow) and sold at a great price by a SF member.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ferragamo-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside: does anyone know if there's a particular reason they've been on sale a lot lately? Are they being discontinued? Can we expect Moras to show up on eBay with increasing regularity?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a full brogue monk or even half brogue monk is very useful. From what it sounds like you don't have a lot of shoes, I would just go with a lace up brogue, either derby or oxford. that opens up a lot of choices and you will probably spend less than $200. edit: oops with 1000+ posts Im guessing you do have a lot of shoes already. ignore this comment above
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads