• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$500 Navy Suit

zizou

Reaction score

No those all appear to have hideous short trousers and coats - not elegant in the slightest,

check out the suit supply thread. not all of the jackets and pants are trendy/tight/short.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Lands' End tailored fit suits are on sale today for about half off. The navy suit is $230 shipped. The Code is SPARK and the pin is 1315. If it doesn't work out, you can easily return it at Sears.

jacket: http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tailored-fit-supernatural-wool-suit-jacket~242829_59.html
trousers: http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-417677_A6.html

Thanks so much for posting this advice. While this seems like a great option for the money, it isn't quite as modern as I'd prefer. However, with the option of just returning it is very low risk to try.

Cheers.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
***Just posting my update on my quest for the sub $500 navy suit.

Two days ago I got my suits from J. crew in the mail. The fit is Thompson. This was a failure. I consider myself very modern, but the button stance was hilariously low and the waist suppression was out of control. The return shipping label will get used.

Today I went a number of places. I was hoping to have some luck at Macy's.

I tried on the Bar III slim suit. The 38r fit well in the shoulders but the waist was too tight on me. Does anyone know how this suit handles being let out at the waist?

The Calvin Klein Slim was interesting. A lot of people were knocking on the quality of materials and build, but for a fused suit under $300, I was very impressed by how it felt in my hands and the way it laid on my body. But the 38r was too big in the shoulders- This is a problem I have NEVER had in a 38, as I am really a 39 who walks the line between what I really need and what is available to me.

Some would say my week of searching was a flop. I disagree. I found 3 suits that just won't work, in the same way Edison learned 1000 ways to not make a light bulb. And, the Bar III might still be an option if you gent's think it is worthy of some tailoring.

redboat

Reaction score
Suit Supply and a good local tailor is really all you need...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit Supply isn't magic. Anyway, it and many other brands don't carry size 39. A tailor almost has to be a magician to virtually change a suit by a full size.

As an almost-emergency online alternative, there is Hardwick, at http://menssuitseparates.com/. Tailors can slim down suits below the chest, and jackets can be shortened slightly. Ask about return policy first, though.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on what OP is describing he wants, the J. Crew Ludlow would be totally fine. Slimmer lapels, slimmer cut, within budget ...

Or the Havana from SuitSupply. Higher button stance, shorter jacket length and more fashion forward.

Nothing from Brooks Brothers fits the criteria. Nothing from Banana Republic does, either, unless you could find their Mad Men line.

John B

Reaction score
Based on what OP is describing he wants, the J. Crew Ludlow would be totally fine. Slimmer lapels, slimmer cut, within budget ...

Or the Havana from SuitSupply. Higher button stance, shorter jacket length and more fashion forward.

Nothing from Brooks Brothers fits the criteria. Nothing from Banana Republic does, either, unless you could find their Mad Men line.

I've hesitated to push the Banana Republic suit because I work for the company, but it's $505 full price. It's a good suit for the price. The Mad Men suit they have is a plaid navy suit, and is a bold plaid. The Mad Men suit is the same cut as the Tailored Fit, so don't get hung up on that. The fabric is 100% wool (as any suit should be...unlike Zara, etc.) made by the Cerruti mill in Italy, which has been in business since 1881. I can honestly say after doing a lot of suit shopping lately that it's a good value for the money.

If I were you, I'd try it on to see how it fits. It's a nice basic suit to have and is about $200 less than the J. Crew Ludlow suit. The Brooks Brothers suits start at close to $1000 dollars. I'd also consider the charcoal suit if you don't have one—either one will be appropriate for all occasions and are equally versatile. Either color will work with black or brown shoes, although I recommend brown shoes for almost any occasion. Stay away from black suits though, as it's neither appropriate for weddings nor job interviews.

And as I mentioned before, it's 15% off for students. The policy is to give it to the customer with or without a student I.D. if they say that they are a student. The key is that you find one that fits, looks nice, and is comfortable. The suits at BR used to be a full fit (the Modern Fit), but those are no longer available in the stores and only in charcoal and black online. Just throw it into the mix to see. Like I said, it's exactly your budget, and is a good solid suit for the price ($425 with the student discount).

Also keep in mind that with whatever suit you wind up purchasing, dry clean it as little as possible—it's a harsh process and since it's an investment, you should only dry clean a suit about two or three times a year if you wear it a lot (every week or more). If you don't wear it often, just dry clean it when you spill something on it. Seriously. If you hang a suit up properly all of the wrinkles should fall out naturally.

Good luck, and please let everyone know with what you wind up.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Some would say my week of searching was a flop. I disagree. I found 3 suits that just won't work, in the same way Edison learned 1000 ways to not make a light bulb before he gave up and nicked the idea of a little known Englishman named Swan.

FTFY in the name of historical accuracy :D

Godot

Reaction score
Are there any outlet stores near you? If so, it's worth a shot. Here's a link to Lighthouse Outlets in the US. Typically they'll have a Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren and a half a dozen other shops.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/centers/index.asp

good luck :D

Last edited:

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Thanks guys-

As part of my search I tried on the Banana suits. I was actually pretty impressed with them for my purposes. There's no way i'd pay full price. However, there was a 30% off coupon code around mothers day that almost got me to pull the trigger before I decided that for just $100 more I could go with a suit supply suit that isn't fused. So even at a fair discount I still would choose Suit Supply over Banana. Now if that banana suit was under $300...

I've only read awful things about the brooks suits that can be found at the outlets. Isn't only the low end stuff?

FWIW- This thread is more a a journey from the perspective of a thrifty sartorialist, trying to add a staple wardrobe piece on a budget. It's not a mad rush to add a suit. What I lack in access to funds, I more than make up for with access to time.

With that said, any and all advice/thoughts will be more than welcome.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys-

As part of my search I tried on the Banana suits. I was actually pretty impressed with them for my purposes. There's no way i'd pay full price. However, there was a 30% off coupon code around mothers day that almost got me to pull the trigger before I decided that for just $100 more I could go with a suit supply suit that isn't fused. So even at a fair discount I still would choose Suit Supply over Banana. Now if that banana suit was under $300... 

I've only read awful things about the brooks suits that can be found at the outlets. Isn't only the low end stuff? 

I would say so. It's not like Brooks Brothers is the be all end all of suits but it's a solid, middle of the road suit and you'd be hard pressed to find harsh criticism of the basic 1818 line of their stuff.

I haven't seen the cheaper ones in person like the Brooks Cool or suiting separates so maybe those are the outlet ones? Or maybe there's even a notch below that.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys-

FWIW- This thread is more a a journey from the perspective of a thrifty sartorialist, trying to add a staple wardrobe piece on a budget. It's not a mad rush to add a suit. What I lack in access to funds, I more than make up for with access to time.

With that said, any and all advice/thoughts will be more than welcome.

I would say so. It's not like Brooks Brothers is the be all end all of suits but it's a solid, middle of the road suit and you'd be hard pressed to find harsh criticism of the basic 1818 line of their stuff.

I haven't seen the cheaper ones in person like the Brooks Cool or suiting separates so maybe those are the outlet ones? Or maybe there's even a notch below that.

The BB outlet is filled with 346 suits, which you want to avoid. Pick up a suiting essentials suit from a real BB store tomorrow (May 22nd) during its corporate incentive sale for $420 or an a1818 Fitzgerald for $700. Or, just go to Suit Supply. Problem solved.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aha... 346. I'd forgotten about them, probably for good reason.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Yeah. The 346 is the suit that is carried at the outlets, and it is to be avoided. But what's the deal with the suiting essentials that is on sale for $420?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads