$500 Navy Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RL Beasley, Apr 25, 2013.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think the Friends and Family sale (25% off) at Brooks Brothes is May 9--12, but not sure.

2. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Went to brooks today. Wasn't blown away by anything I tried on. Maybe it's a bit conservative for my taste. But at 25% off, I have no doubt that it's a good value. It just might not be for me.

3. MiamiRedSkin

MiamiRedSkin Senior member

British Customs Tailors on Brownsboro might be able to make you something in that price range. I have only used them for alterations, but have heard they have some cheap options for MTM...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

4. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Well... I'd never even heard of them. I will look into that for sure!

So, by 'cheap' you mean what? I don't really want poor fabric or craftsmanship.

5. jackyleec

jackyleec Member

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Which line are you talking about? IMO, some of their suits aren't good value at 25% off.

7. John B

John B Active Member

A good Banana Republic store will carry between 10 and 20 suits. The basic navy one is exactly $500. It's pretty good for the price. They give discounts on full-priced items to students, teachers, and servicemen (15% for any of those, and 10% for seniors). They also offer discounts if you sign up for one of their store credit cards. Usually it's 15% for signing up, but this weekend, it's 20%. That means that you could get a good basic suit for $340 if you can use both.

8. Cunrad

Cunrad Senior member

Most of the SuSu suits are made from pure virgin wool, others are cotton or linen. Some suits are made from blends of these three, or one of the first three with silk. All natural fibers, no polyester or other chemical fiber for their cloth. The lining though is made from a blend of polyester and bemberg silk, but that okay.
    I'm by no means experienced, but they source their cloth from reputable italien mills and i should think it will hold up fine over time.
    If you want the suit to be versatile, stick to simple stuff made from wool, as it will wrinkle less. In warm regions/seasons you want an open weave for breathability.

9. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

Sounds like you might be a candidate for J. Crew. I wouldn't worry too much about the construction. If it fits and you like the style, you'll look good. Other options might be Benjamin at eHaberdasher, or Howard Yount.

10. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

After studying around, I ended up going cheap and getting the Thompson from J. Crew factory. This was an awful decision, and I will be returning it immediately. Back to the drawing board. I am probably going to end up with Suit Supply. Probably the Napoli. But I'm still not giving up my quest to spend a little less than $500, but I'm starting to think it more and more worth it.

11. Viral

Viral Senior member

what size are you? I might have what you are looking for.

12. RL Beasley

RL Beasley Active Member

Depends on the cut but usually I fit in a 39r. Some 38s are a little small and some 40s are a little big. What do you have in mind?

13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: May 17, 2013

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

No those all appear to have hideous short trousers and coats - not elegant in the slightest,

15. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

^ appearances can be deceiving.............................