• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$500 Navy Suit

RL Beasley

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I'm soon to be the best man in my brothers wedding. The occasion calls for a navy suit. Plain and simple. Tasty.

My budget, all told, is $500. This number includes any alterations. I have considered MTM, but am still a little fearful of the process. Are there any recommendations I should adhere to, or any other threads that nail this issue?

If it helps, I am located in Louisville, KY.

Cheers.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Gents,

I'm soon to be the best man in my brothers wedding. The occasion calls for a navy suit. Plain and simple. Tasty. 

My budget, all told, is $500. This number includes any alterations. I have considered MTM, but am still a little fearful of the process. Are there any recommendations I should adhere to, or any other threads that nail this issue?

If it helps, I am located in Louisville, KY. 

Cheers. 

Look for Paul Betenly. They make suits in that price range and they are very nice for that price range. Granted they are not fully canvassed, pick stitched, etc. But for the price, they are very nice.

Chris

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

RL Beasley

Reaction score
When it comes to Zara, how do you distinguish what is trash and what is treasure? This might be a good option for me. I just wanna know how you make distinctions.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you considered Zara? Sometimes their suits are very nice.

No.

call some local menswear stores and see if they carry the brand

hohneokc you've obviously never been to Louisville...

OP, here is what you have locally:
1) Rodes - not in your price range. Cheapest they carry is HSM ($1k, or maybe a $850 Traveler model), then Samuelsohn, then Canali, Zegna, Isaia.
2) Fashion Post - the American brand version of Rodes. Smaller shop with brands like H. Freeman, Jack Victor, Southwick. More classic American than modern/trim. I haven't been in there in a while, but I'm not sure you'll dip below $500 for any suits. Maybe $600+. I've bought a jacket from them and I'm not a huge fan of how their tailors adjust the body.
3) Dept Stores - Dillards, Von Maur, Macy's. You'll find your price covered here, but I've never been impressed by what any of these stores stock locally. You may get lucky with a Boss or Abboud at either Dillards or Von Maur.
4) Brooks Brothers
5) Dept Stores, other states edition - you could drive to either Indy or Cincy for Saks and Nordstroms.
6) Banana Republic (carries 4-5 suits in store, better selection at the Summit location) or JCrew (can order something from the catalog and ship free).
7) Mens Wearhouse and Jos Banks

That leaves online - Suitsupply is a hot name at this price level. There is a massive thread on that brand. Benjamin suits from ehaberdasher have a good rep around SF, and some guy named Wizard of Ahs on ebay I've seen mentioned at this price range as well.

So, conclusion is that Louisville shopping kinda sux, unless you want to pay for Rodes, fit a sack suit, or don't mind the lower quality wares of the dept stores.

There are a shitload of threads on this topic with other ideas.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look for Paul Betenly. They make suits in that price range and they are very nice for that price range. Granted they are not fully canvassed, pick stitched, etc. But for the price, they are very nice.

Chris

I struggle to buy from websites that a) have mis-spellings on the front page, and b) can't style their models. Personal preference, but if you're going to show me a lookbook full of buttoned bottom buttons or too long sleeves, I worry.

For that price, Suitsupply is canvassed and pick stitched.

Last edited:

Cunrad

Reaction score

+1

I ordered from them for the first time this week. The suits were at my door within 2 days. moste of them, especially in your price range, will be half canvassed, which is important for a nice lapel roll.
Pick stitching is just an optical detail that can look nice, but doesn't necessarily do so.

They do have a size advisor built in in their online shop system, but I doubt that it's working properly. It recommended a US 38 to me, which is too short and too tight.
They do recommend a tight fit though, and you may heed that advise. I would suggest that you order several sizes, since they offer free returns.

Anyway, here is a link to their offerings in your price range and blue colour: blue suits from Suit Supply for around $500

Last edited:

RL Beasley

Reaction score
No.
hohneokc you've obviously never been to Louisville...

OP, here is what you have locally:
1) Rodes - not in your price range. Cheapest they carry is HSM ($1k, or maybe a $850 Traveler model), then Samuelsohn, then Canali, Zegna, Isaia.
2) Fashion Post - the American brand version of Rodes. Smaller shop with brands like H. Freeman, Jack Victor, Southwick. More classic American than modern/trim. I haven't been in there in a while, but I'm not sure you'll dip below $500 for any suits. Maybe $600+. I've bought a jacket from them and I'm not a huge fan of how their tailors adjust the body.
3) Dept Stores - Dillards, Von Maur, Macy's. You'll find your price covered here, but I've never been impressed by what any of these stores stock locally. You may get lucky with a Boss or Abboud at either Dillards or Von Maur.
4) Brooks Brothers
5) Dept Stores, other states edition - you could drive to either Indy or Cincy for Saks and Nordstroms.
6) Banana Republic (carries 4-5 suits in store, better selection at the Summit location) or JCrew (can order something from the catalog and ship free).
7) Mens Wearhouse and Jos Banks

That leaves online - Suitsupply is a hot name at this price level. There is a massive thread on that brand. Benjamin suits from ehaberdasher have a good rep around SF, and some guy named Wizard of Ahs on ebay I've seen mentioned at this price range as well.

So, conclusion is that Louisville shopping kinda sux, unless you want to pay for Rodes, fit a sack suit, or don't mind the lower quality wares of the dept stores.

There are a shitload of threads on this topic with other ideas.

CousinDonuts, this is exactly my situation. The shopping in Louisville is terrible. I think I represent a lot of men on this forum that don't have access to quality unless they want to make a day trip out of driving to another city. I've been in Rodes. And being a 25 year old, who is much for on the fashion forward side of the line- I'm a musician by trade- I immediately sensed the snarls when I walked in the store. The glares that suggested I couldn't afford any of their wares. Unfortunately, they are right.
While I have ponied up and paid money on shoes- owning multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds, Magnanni and To Boot New York- I still cant afford a $1500 suit.

So I'm reduced to the department stores you mentioned. My issue here is that these stores represent terrible value unless you catch them at a steep discount, IMO.

Brooks Bros. peaks my interest but it's still a touch on my high side. I'd be willing to pay the extra bit, except for the fact that they aren't exactly the cuts I prefer anyways. I'm a high arm holes, low button stance, slender lapels kind of guy.

Are Banana are J. Crew suits acceptable? I'm seriously interested, if they are.

Mens Wearhouse and Jos. A Bank do NOTHING for me.

So this is exactly my quandry. We get a Nordstrom Rack in November- which will be a life save to a guy like myself. But the wedding is in a couple of months.

That settles it. It looks like I'm just going to have to move.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Suiting Essentials level is under $500 during the sales that occur every few weeks. Suit Supply is a good option as well, if it fits you.

RL Beasley

Reaction score
+1

I ordered from them for the firt time this week. The suits were at my door within 2 days. moste of them, especially in your price range, will be half canvassed, which is important for a nice lapel roll.
Pick stitching is just an optical detail that can look nice, but doesn't necessarily do so.

They do have a size advisor built in in their online shop system, but I doubt that it's working properly. It recommended a US 38 to me, which is too short and too tight.
They do recommend a tight fit though, and you may heed that advise. I would suggest that you order several sizes, since they offer free returns.

Anyway, here is a link to their offerings in your price range and blue colour: blue suits from Suit Supply for around $500
Thanks for this. I am definitely investigating! The styling seems to be right up my alley and the forum seems to approve. Glad to hear you had a positive experience, and the advice to order multiple sizes is solid advice.

What is you experience of the overall quality, and ability to do alterations. I read on PTO that the functional cuff buttons make arm length alterations hell. What's your view?

Cunrad

Reaction score
Regarding alterations: There is quite a bit of cloth left below the lowest sleeve button. I think you could shorten the sleeves by at least half an inch, maybeea bit more. Also there is a provision of cloth on the inside of the sleeve; you could have them lenghtend by an inch, too. Of course, then you would need to add a fifth button to restore the optical balance. If this is not enough, sleeves can be shortened, but not lengthened from the shoulder. It costs a bit more, say 20 to 30 bucks, instead of 10 or 15. Anyway, the differences in sleeve length of the Suit Supply suits aren't that big anyway.
Since i got the suits just this week, I've had no chance for actual alteretions. But things that can be done on any given OTR suit should be possible with SuSu suits

The overall quality is above par for the pricepoint. All seams are even and and neatly finished, buttonhole stitching is of course done by machine, but again neatly done (I've seen terrible things on Zara coats regardings buttonholes). Buttons are natural horn. I would say that the cloth is again better than in most other offerings at your pricepoint, nothing to light, more on the heavier side, which is could for drape, crease resistance and longevity.

Last edited:

RL Beasley

Reaction score
At least the first you will find in Suit Suply's suits. The button stance is imho neither high, nor low, but just right. Their lapels are not espacially slim, but that depends on the model. And I'm under the impression, that they may look wider in the pics then in RL. I ordered the Soho model, which seems to have extremly wide lapels, even for a duoble breasted suit, but in really they are of rather average width.

And remeber, shipping and returns are free with them.
This seems like a great option for me. I'm gonna go to Brooks later today and see if they are having a sale or anything on clearance. If I have no luck there, I will likely be going in this direction. Thanks for your help.

In your opinion, how is the quality of the wool, and is it blended junk or decent stuff? After the wedding I want this suit to be my daily driver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads