500 HP, too many horses?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by antiguogrumete, Dec 30, 2010.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

OK boys, let's have a reality check here. Since the horsepower curve of a car rises roughly in proportion to its RPMs, you will be generating max horsepower only near redline. So what kinds of speeds are you going near redline?

Let's look at a 2010 Ford Mustang GT with the following specs: 5 gears with ratios of 3.38, 2.00, 1.32, 1.00, 0.62, a final drive ratio of 3.55, 235/50-18 drive tire size (http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/20...um/specs.html), and a 6000 RPM redline. You can quibble here and there about different gear boxes and drive ratios, and max redline, but roughly speaking, this gets you these top speeds at each gear (http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html to calculate):

Gear:MPH
    1: 40
    2: 68
    3: 103
    4: 137
    5: 220

Since you only see the effects of horsepower in overcoming wind resistance (primarily) and rolling resistance (very distant 2nd), both of which are maximized at high speeds, there is no way you will ever use or need 500 HP unless you are wringing the car out near redline in 5th. At lower speeds that are legal or near-legal (ie. up to maybe 3rd gear in the chart above), you simply are not horsepower-limited.

And even if for some reason you need 500 HP to go 40 MPH, how many of you drive all the way to redline for each gear? Because that's the only engine speed where you're going to make your max horsepower.

So tell me again, when exactly do you need 500 HP on the street?

--Andre

2. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

So tell me again, when exactly do you need 500 HP on the street? --Andre
    for the same reason someone wants a Hermes breast wallet... "Because I want it!"[​IMG]

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

OK boys, let's have a reality check here. Since the horsepower curve of a car rises roughly in proportion to its RPMs, you will be generating max horsepower only near redline. So what kinds of speeds are you going near redline?

Let's look at a 2010 Ford Mustang GT with the following specs: 5 gears with ratios of 3.38, 2.00, 1.32, 1.00, 0.62, a final drive ratio of 3.55, 235/50-18 drive tire size (http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/20...um/specs.html), and a 6000 RPM redline. You can quibble here and there about different gear boxes and drive ratios, and max redline, but roughly speaking, this gets you these top speeds at each gear (http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html to calculate):

Since you only see the effects of horsepower in overcoming wind resistance (primarily) and rolling resistance (very distant 2nd), both of which are maximized at high speeds, there is no way you will ever use or need 500 HP unless you are wringing the car out near redline in 5th. At lower speeds that are legal or near-legal (ie. up to maybe 3rd gear in the chart above), you simply are not horsepower-limited.

And even if for some reason you need 500 HP to go 40 MPH, how many of you drive all the way to redline for each gear? Because that's the only engine speed where you're going to make your max horsepower.

--Andre

Do I need it, no, of course not. It's what I want, and enjoy every time I get behind the wheel.

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I want the one with the bigger H Ps.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

That video is hilarious, AY -- think he was shaken up a bit from the entrance to the curve? He did nothing to get out of that.
    Any goofus with a new Porsche, Ferrari, et al. should be able to handle the cars no problem as they come.
    Yeah I dunno about that. Traction control and all is fine and dandy but power is power and physics is physics. Still very easy to screwup, and the biggest mill I drive is like 325hp. 500 is a lot. ~ H

6. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Senior member

--Andre

because gucci mane says its cool [​IMG]

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

for the same reason someone wants a Hermes breast wallet...

I'm not able to discuss that at this time.

Do I need it, no, of course not. It's what I want, and enjoy every time I get behind the wheel.

I think that's part of my point, too. You don't really get to enjoy it because it's accessed only at the top of your RPM range, and you don't get to feel its effects until you're at crazy high speeds.

If people just want a bigger number attached to their car, that's fine with me --- the Corvette Z06 has its HP printed on its side emblems --- but don't think that you're actually getting any performance benefit from it.

That video is hilarious, AY -- think he was shaken up a bit from the entrance to the curve? He did nothing to get out of that.

Yeah, many odd things about that video. It seems like he was staring at the bike he hit, which is why he ended up out there. Almost no countersteer either. This one is kind of funny, but mostly scary:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm not able to discuss that at this time.

I think that's part of my point, too. You don't really get to enjoy it because it's accessed only at the top of your RPM range, and you don't get to feel its effects until you're at crazy high speeds.

If people just want a bigger number attached to their car, that's fine with me --- the Corvette Z06 has its HP printed on its side emblems --- but don't think that you're actually getting any performance benefit from it.

Yeah, many odd things about that video. It seems like he was staring at the bike he hit, which is why he ended up out there. Almost no countersteer either. This one is kind of funny, but mostly scary:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

But the car, at least my car, offers much more than just the hp and torque of the engine. I enjoy it plenty.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

yeah, probably drives a lot like my '88 ford taurus. hehe

I just wanted to say good on you for making this your sig. [​IMG]

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Only 500 horsies? That's what you got on a mild hop up from a 69 Chevelle SS. A fully printed and blown big block got lots more than that. Ahhhhh the good old days of hemis and punched out big blocks.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, it is way too much if you haven't been trained to handle it. If you do get it, take a Skip Barber driving class or similar. It might save your life.

12. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

ORLY?

500 HP is way too much for almost everyone. 300 is still too much. 100-150 is about right.

--Andre

Yeah I dunno about that. Traction control and all is fine and dandy but power is power and physics is physics. Still very easy to screwup, and the biggest mill I drive is like 325hp. 500 is a lot.

~ H

Should, people. SHOULD.

Just because there are defuses that can't handle it doesn't excuse the fact they should. I handled 400 at age 20 without traction control, half the breaking power and basic suspension upgrades.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. --Andre

<shakes head> The Evo is the worst; no one seems to realize it is not their private course. Lotus at the end was so beautiful. Damn. That guy's channel is pretty awesome, often funny, and often depressing. The guy wiping on his Vespa-esque scooter, Crocs flying, was hilarious but the old red pickup that was completely clipping the corners and nearly creamed a motorcycle kindof made me ill.
    Only 500 horsies? That's what you got on a mild hop up from a 69 Chevelle SS. A fully printed and blown big block got lots more than that. Ahhhhh the good old days of hemis and punched out big blocks.
    Mild? I know those mills could be played with a lot, but wouldn't you really have to do a little more than a cam, intake, carbs, and headers to get to 500 from a SS396/325? More than that would hardly be mild.
    Should, people. SHOULD. Just because there are defuses that can't handle it doesn't excuse the fact they should. I handled 400 at age 20 without traction control, half the breaking power and basic suspension upgrades.
    I dunno. Maybe I miss the bar. I likely wouldn't wipe it (just because I am conservative and careful), but only because I was driving timidly on purpose. And on a wet day? Sheesh. ~ H

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Mild? I know those mills could be played with a lot, but wouldn't you really have to do a little more than a cam, intake, carbs, and headers to get to 500 from a SS396/325? More than that would hardly be mild.
    That's about all you had to do to get 500 horses out of a big block. Hell you could just stick a nitrous setup on one and get just about that from a bone stock motor. If you really wanted something bad ass you had to do a complete rebuild, bore it out and stick a Dyer on it. Oh and you got your fuel at the airport. LOL. Def not a daily driver anymore.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

The car is fine, I just can't stand turbo lag.