• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(500) Days of Summer

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw it last night and I really liked it. I think it's probably the only movie about relationships that I can actually believe in. On the one hand, I'm like Tom and believe in fate, that special someone, etc., but I'm also like Summer in that '**** happens' and you can't agonize over it. I also firmly believe that good **** won't happen to you unless your life is in order, or at least that you won't recognize the good ****. Plus Zooey was totally hot and some of the scenes nearly killed me. I think this is one to own, which is a rarity for me.

Oh, and the clothes were good.

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Saw it last week and enjoyed it. Sadly I could relate to the story. I was wondering how much BoO he was wearing, judging from the hem it looked like his shirts were. Anyone know who makes suits with such a slim silhouette a lapels (I'm assuming BoO).

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
It didn't really have any indie references did it? Not that I can remember....there was a reference to the Smiths, but that's a pretty huge group.

yeah that's what i'm saying, there weren't that many references at all but it's the biggest complaint about the movie i've seen so far

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't all indie kids have to start out liking the Smiths, though? I think it's a prerequisite. I'm not actually complaining as I like indie ****. EDIT: one thing I wondered about the movie was if it would have been better had the bit with Autumn not been in it? Frankly it was cool that they met, but things had pretty much been resolved up until that point. I couldn't help but wonder if it was added on at the last second just to make it more acceptable to Hollywood and all those people who demand a clear cut happy ending.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
anyone see the "Cotton" commercial on tv that's currently running with Zooey in it? (she sings the soundtrack song as well)
inlove.gif
have seen this 2x now and was just as good the second time (the movie, not the commercial)

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked the movie a lot, but I'm just not into Zooey. She's too round-faced, girl next door for me, and I don't like her voice either. But I can understand why other people are.

zombegon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of what brand and style shoe Tom wears in the poster for 500 Days. Let's see if I can attach a file big enough...

To me they look like Puma's. The strip down the side is similar. However I have been unable to find anything remotely close.

best to all

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are Pumas. He wore them with a suit, which I thought was the low point of the movie.

WishEllis

Reaction score
gosh, the clothes were Ok (I do agree about the Puma suit lameness), but I can't believe you guys liked this movie. It was incredibly superficial, no? It's straight from the Apatow mould - emo/lazy guy finds self validation (and career success) via vehicle of completely one-dimensional female character who 'just doesn't get his true depths'. Zooey's character was completely unexplored, we were just meant to see her as a means for the guy to progress through the seasons, as it were. And its redemptive take on LA ('look up and you see the beauty') was awful. It didn't seem to know the city at all. Still, Zooey is very pretty, no doubt. I once saw her making out with Giovanni Ribisi in the Ralphs in Silverlake. It made me sad.

bathtime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WishEllis
gosh, the clothes were Ok (I do agree about the Puma suit lameness), but I can't believe you guys liked this movie. It was incredibly superficial, no? It's straight from the Apatow mould - emo/lazy guy finds self validation (and career success) via vehicle of completely one-dimensional female character who 'just doesn't get his true depths'. Zooey's character was completely unexplored, we were just meant to see her as a means for the guy to progress through the seasons, as it were. And its redemptive take on LA ('look up and you see the beauty') was awful. It didn't seem to know the city at all. Still, Zooey is very pretty, no doubt. I once saw her making out with Giovanni Ribisi in the Ralphs in Silverlake. It made me sad.
First of all, let's agree that movie appreciation is subjective. Second, I agree with your criticisms of the film. And here's the New Yorker capsule review: "For a movie about heartfelt connections, its characters have no depth or substance; for one about love, it has no chemistry or spontaneity; the action takes place in Los Angeles, though we see almost none of it; and a reference to “The Graduate” does the film no favors. Forcedly cute, clumsily mechanical, overdetermined, and undernourished, this ostensibly soulful romance is a plastic void."

zombegon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I'm pretty sure they are Pumas. He wore them with a suit, which I thought was the low point of the movie.

Thanks guys.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
He wore them several times with different suits. I wanted to stab the costume designer in the gentials.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WishEllis

I don't agree with you on most points, but when did he find career success?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads