• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(500) Days of Summer

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already posted my thoughts in the other thread, but this one seems to be the "main" one anyways so...

I liked it. Not the most original, but not the most terribly generic romance movie either. I like the direction they decided to take it, and the manner in which they took it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^^ I think you hit the nail on head with the statement about "if you can relate to this you'll like the movie even more"

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah which is why I liked the latter part of the movie so much because

(Uhh, spoilers I guess)

He got over it because she's a ******* whore. Ok, not really, but she still was that "amazing girl who seemed right in everywhere but still dumped you for no explicable reason" and yet despite that, he still has a spark of romanticism in the end. Basically, it aligned pretty much with my personal beliefs/experiences so, yeah, I could relate pretty easily. And I feel shortsighted because I didn't see it coming that her name was Autumn.

(/spoilers).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This is good news. The girlfriend really wants to see it and i was worried.

On the subject of music in movies. There are a fair amount of 17-24 year old kids who do listen to more of the smiths, jatmc, my bloody valentine, and other stuff like that (i dislike belle and sebastian a lot but i'm familiar with them due to girls i know liking it). While some people would rather see some more "everyman" music, if there was some terribly boring movie based on the last 5 years of my life, i sure as hell wouldn't want U2, foghat, or deep purple playing in the background. Wouldn't make any sense despite them being more traditionally used in teen movies.

Then again, i don't get that "indie" when it comes to music but some people seem to think anything not classic rock or wildly popular music is.

I do understand some people's worries about movies like this and others in the past having more "off the beaten path" i guess you can call it soundtracks but the problem when these kinds of movies fail is usually just poor writing and directing. I see some of these movies being way too self aware and suffering from way too much dialogue spelling every emotion out for you, not letting the acting or the silence play any kind of major role.

Regardless, i feel a little better about being dragged to this by the girl. I had not even seen any previews for it so i had no clue and just assumed the worst

Note the "Unknown Pleasures" tee-shirt.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize the singer of Quelqu'un m'a dit was Carla Bruni... as in also the first lady of France.

Oh, and I liked how it's a romance movie that would make a terrible date movie.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it makes me happy that there's a thred about this i lvoed it. saw it at arclight in hollywood and that's teh best movie theater in the world

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Still... my overall impression from both the reviews and the previews is that it's sort of a chick movie for guys.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the opening scene was hilarious. I'm looking forward to watching it again in the theater.

I think people are taking the indie-music references too far. It's cool to think about meeting someone as weird/fucked up as you are, but besides 2-3 scenes it's not that important. the story/whatever else is still dope outside that

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We get the likes of G-Force and Aliens in the Attic, but no 500 Days??? WTF!

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
the opening scene was hilarious. I'm looking forward to watching it again in the theater.

I think people are taking the indie-music references too far. It's cool to think about meeting someone as weird/fucked up as you are, but besides 2-3 scenes it's not that important. the story/whatever else is still dope outside that

I think especially the cinematography and the way the story was presented was incredible. I hate how a lot of reviewers ended up being pissy about the movie and judgmental because of its "indie appeal" and were comparing it to Garden State - which it has no similarities with beyond the fact that it has two attractive leads and good music (which can be said of many movies). The story just resonated better than anything else I've ever watched, and that's the reason why it tops my favorite movies list
smile.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense

It didn't really have any indie references did it? Not that I can remember....there was a reference to the Smiths, but that's a pretty huge group.

k4ppah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
It didn't really have any indie references did it? Not that I can remember....there was a reference to the Smiths, but that's a pretty huge group.

They definitely reference Belle & Sebastian (in Summer's yearbook quote.) Other such things might just be album covers in the background and things of that nature. I don't think there was anything too unreasonable, but apparently this sort of thing gets on others' nerves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads