• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 year old wants to change wardrobe.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Leave the "slim fit " stuff for the younger guys.

But do get a good fit as most here consider fit to be most important. If, however, you are slim, then maybe slim-fit is appropriate such as the Brooks Brothers slim-fit OCBDs.

buckster13

Reaction score
Never would describe myself as "slim". At 5'9" and 180 no way I'm "slim", athletic would be the most gracious description.

buckster13

Reaction score
Haven't tried on flat front dress pants in years, feel age and build don't really work in my favor for this type dress pants. Any suggestions?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then stick with pants that have just a few pleats. For them, Jos. A. Bank is worth exploring; sales galore there. Quality corduroys, which don't need pleats, could be a good addition. French cuffs might not be right for your occupation. If your peers aren't wearing them.... With your build, two-button and single-breasted probably should be characteristics of all your jackets. As has been said, you simply haven't provided much information on which to base advice. At the very least, you ought to be willing to publicly disclose the climate, because someone from Florida needs a different wardrobe than, for example, a New Yorker does.

buckster13

Reaction score
Sorry, new to this type of thing. I'm saying one thing and you may be thinking something else. I live in the Northeast. I am going to check out the Banks idea. Thanks

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a couple of specific points - as a sales manager, you will be dressing, in part, for your team and for your customers. you don't want anything too fashion forward, and you want to look like a proffetional boss. I'd also think about what message you want to communicate. for example, I am the international sales manager in a company, my collegue is the domestic sales manager. he is texan, an ex infantry officer, and younger than 90% of his sales team. he has a nice collection of cowboy boots, which he wears with suits - works for him, and it is something that people remember.

I wear dark suits, and blue shirts - when everybody else in the room is wearing a white shirt, I am the one wearing a blue shirt. no special reason, but it makes me stand out a bit, and americans percieve it as a little exotic.

I had a guy once distribe me as all bang, no flash - and I liked that. solid, simple but high quality, the apperence that I don't put too much effort into dressing but am always neat and well put together.

I would strongly suggest going into a very simple type of wardrobe - white shirts with straight collars, dark solid ties, dark suits. you might find that pants that take belts are a less exotic step than going with braces. I would stay away from too much jewlery - no fancy cufflinks or rings. a fancy belt - say snake, crocodile or ostrich may be the only exception if you want one thing that is a little flashy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics