• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50% OFF Jermyn Street shirt SALE

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Too bad that they didn't have any smaller then 15½
frown.gif

mr_archiechan

Reaction score
hi there...you are correct, the James & Longbourne dress shirt range is from 15.5 upto 17.5

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aristocrat
Too bad that they didn't have any smaller then 15½
frown.gif

That's the exact same thing I was thinking. Even still, the shirts are about $75 each, plus shipping. Probably more than I would be willing to pay for those shirts. They didn't seem to have a very large selection anyway.

mr_archiechan

Reaction score
whilst I agree the James & Longbourne shirt may be at the premium price range - these are arguably one of the finest dress shirts available - and at 50% OFF, this is a wonderful opportunity to own a beautiful shirt...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_archiechan
these are arguably one of the finest dress shirts available

Could you please substantiate this statement? What makes them so fine? Single-needle stitching? Hand sewn buttonholes? mother-of-pearl buttons? hand attached sleeves? cotton from specific higher end mills? what handwork can be found on these shirts?
Thanks in advance

mr_archiechan

Reaction score
good question.......the James & Longbourne (J&L) dress shirt is ALWAYS made from the finest poplin cotton - as a minimum two fold 80s weave is used to give a luxurious feel - the fabric being the foundation of any good shirt. J&L cut their shirts for style and comfort, by way of an example, their shirts are made with a split yoke (this will allow the fabric to fall across the shoulders without unsightly folds or puckering) this enables a better fit across the shoulder. The collar also being one of the most important aspects of any shirt, is manufactured as a two piece collar that is non creasing and will give many years of elegant wear. Other features you would expect from a high end English shirt maker are:
* Sewing - all seams are sewn at 20 stitches to the inch - single needle stitching used
* Lockstiched button holes
* Removeable Collar Stiffeners
* Long tails - to prevent shirt tails falling out
* stiffened cuffs and collars - to give the wearer a crisp secure feel around the double cuff and collar

Therefore, in response to your question and by way of a summary, J&L have taken a holistic approach to traditional shirt tailoring- bringing together and applygin all the "best practice" to produce an overall beautiful traditional English dress shirt...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good question.......the James & Longbourne (J&L) dress shirt is ALWAYS made from the finest poplin cotton - as a minimum two fold 80s weave is used to give a luxurious feel - the fabric being the foundation of any good shirt. J&L cut their shirts for style and comfort, by way of an example, their shirts are made with a split yoke (this will allow the fabric to fall across the shoulders without unsightly folds or puckering) this enables a better fit across the shoulder. The collar also being one of the most important aspects of any shirt, is manufactured as a two piece collar that is non creasing and will give many years of elegant wear. Other features you would expect from a high end English shirt maker are:
* Sewing - all seams are sewn at 20 stitches to the inch - single needle stitching used
* Lockstiched button holes
* Removeable Collar Stiffeners
* Long tails - to prevent shirt tails falling out
* stiffened cuffs and collars - to give the wearer a crisp secure feel around the double cuff and collar

Therefore, in response to your question and by way of a summary, J&L have taken a holistic approach to traditional shirt tailoring- bringing together and applygin all the "best practice" to produce an overall beautiful traditional English dress shirt...

Any handwork?

mr_archiechan

Reaction score
all the fabric cutting and stitching is executed by machine (obviously operated by humans) - this is arguably better than hand!!! sadly humans have a habit of generating errors..over time....not something that James & Longbourne would tolerate within their shirts - unless of course you are tailoring a "one off" bespoke shirt, where a hand made one is economically more viable...that said, machines do operate wihtin certain levels of tolerance and therefore ALL James & Longbourne shirts are hand finished - i.e. ALL shirts are examined by hand/eye - every feature of every shirt - and any that do not meet the exceptionally high standards are rejected....I hope this answers your question?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the fabric cutting and stitching is executed by machine (obviously operated by humans) - this is arguably better than hand!!! sadly humans have a habit of generating errors..over time....not something that James & Longbourne would tolerate within their shirts - unless of course you are tailoring a "one off" bespoke shirt, where a hand made one is economically more viable...that said, machines do operate wihtin certain levels of tolerance and therefore ALL James & Longbourne shirts are hand finished - i.e. ALL shirts are examined by hand/eye - every feature of every shirt - and any that do not meet the exceptionally high standards are rejected....I hope this answers your question?

Thanks but my question was whether any of the stitching was done by hand (sleeves attached by hand, buttonholes hand-sewn), not if the shirt was inspected by a human eye and hand. Also you did not answer the question about the buttons: are they plastic or mother of pearl?

I'm trying to differentiate these shirts from the basic run-of-the-mill "Jermyn St" shirt (TM Lewin, Pink...).

Removable collar stiffeners aren't exactly a differentiator if you know what I mean...

mr_archiechan

Reaction score
I will get back to you regarding the buttons...however I am confident ALL stitching is done my machine....but I will clarify this for you...I'll be back....

mr_archiechan

Reaction score
Having spoken to the production guys at James & Longbourne, I can confirm ALL the stitching is done by machine (single needle - 20 stitches per inch) and the buttons are not mother of pearl - unless you buy one of their bespoke shirts (which come with "mop" buttons as standard).

In response to providing further information and detail that differentiates a James & Longbourne shirt from run-of-the-mill "Jermyn St" shirt....apart from my previous response (i.e. quality of fabric, cut and shirt construction etc. - see thread chain for full details) - I can only suggest you take advantage of this SALE and try one? These guys know how to make a traditional English dress shirt..and you can argue so do the other manufacturers you mentioned (TM Lewin, Pink...)...I agree..it's a question of personal preference I guess....Do you drive a Ford or GM? Do you prefer Lager or Real Ale etc etc It comes down to finding a shirt maker that when you wear their shirts you feel like a million dollars..and maybe that's what makes James & Longbourne shirts (in my opinion) stand out from the Jermyn Street crowd..you are buying into something very special.........try one, you might be surprised?...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having spoken to the production guys at James & Longbourne, I can confirm ALL the stitching is done by machine (single needle - 20 stitches per inch) and the buttons are not mother of pearl - unless you buy one of their bespoke shirts (which come with "mop" buttons as standard).

In response to providing further information and detail that differentiates a James & Longbourne shirt from run-of-the-mill "Jermyn St" shirt....apart from my previous response (i.e. quality of fabric, cut and shirt construction etc. - see thread chain for full details) - I can only suggest you take advantage of this SALE and try one? These guys know how to make a traditional English dress shirt..and you can argue so do the other manufacturers you mentioned (TM Lewin, Pink...)...I agree..it's a question of personal preference I guess....Do you drive a Ford or GM? Do you prefer Lager or Real Ale etc etc It comes down to finding a shirt maker that when you wear their shirts you feel like a million dollars..and maybe that's what makes James & Longbourne shirts (in my opinion) stand out from the Jermyn Street crowd..you are buying into something very special.........try one, you might be surprised?...

OK thanks Mr A

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert in shirt construction by any means, but a couple of things I've gleaned:
80's fabric, at least by the standards most people here associate with good quality shirts, hardly qualifies as luxurious;
the consenus among people who know far more about such things than I do seems to be that a split yoke is nearly or completely functionally useless in an RTW shirt and as such is mere affectation;
All moot as far as I'm concerned, though, because of the absence of different sleeve length choices for each neck size.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
the consenus among people who know far more about such things than I do seems to be that a split yoke is nearly or completely functionally useless in an RTW shirt and as such is mere affectation

Not my opnion and definitely not consensus. Functionally useless yes, mere affectation no. For many people, it is a sign of quality (especially if pattern amtching is top-notch) and additional attention from the shirtmaker, as well as an aesthetic preference

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads