• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 and back in sales, need help/advice on suits

CarSalesman

Reaction score
Been out of the game for a decade or so. Looking to get two suits for now. Maybe cotton for spring/sumer and wool for fall/winter. I've got a six pack abs under my two four shvelt body (44 reg?). Looking for suggestions/help to looking sharp in a suit. As my user name suggests I sell cars. I don't want to look like a car salesman however. So what should I be concidering, brands, color etc?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been out of the game for a decade or so. Looking to get two suits for now. Maybe cotton for spring/sumer and wool for fall/winter. I've got a six pack abs under my two four shvelt body (44 reg?). Looking for suggestions/help to looking sharp in a suit. As my user name suggests I sell cars. I don't want to look like a car salesman however. So what should I be concidering, brands, color etc?

What is your budget?

CarSalesman

Reaction score
Well I guess $1k for both if I must.I'm in Canada so suits here ranges from Bellissimo - $599 to $279 retail, Grafton 1883 are $599 and up, Jones of New York $599, these are brands I know. So I'm not schooled in suits and need serious help. I need a starting point for sure.

Al9146

Reaction score
Well I guess $1k for both if I must.I'm in Canada so suits here ranges from Bellissimo - $599 to $279 retail, Grafton 1883 are $599 and up, Jones of New York $599, these are brands I know. So I'm not schooled in suits and need serious help. I need a starting point for sure.
I'm new to the style scene, so I won't attempt to help much there.
smile.gif
Being your age though, I will suggest to avoid trendy things like really skinny lapels, etc. Stay conservative with the details and maybe choose a mid-darker blue? A navy may be too hot for summer. Maybe a bit lighter than navy, but not too light?

Couple questions: what region of Canada are you located in? Those suits you suggested are sold by Tip Top Tailors, and there may be better choices available at some smaller shops.

Budget: $1K Canadian for both suits, including alterations and taxes? If so, you're looking at cheap fused jackets. I really don't know what types of half canvassed jackets there are at a $400-ish price point before the extras. So, here is an idea that you may want to think about if it's ok in your field: skip the suit and go with separates. A few pairs of well-fitting dress pants, tailored shirts in colours that go with your complexion, and a sport jacket or two. I thought of this because I really don't know how long a cheap suit will last if you're wearing it almost every day. A fused jacket definitely won't last through many dry cleanings, so maybe buy a suit brush and steamer, (look up proper suit care which limits dry cleanings). All those things eat into your budget. Others here may have a better idea and if they think it's ok, then stick with a suit. Or buy one suit now and some separates....

Focus on the details like keeping your shoes clean and polished, match the tie knot shape with the shirt collar style, tie the tie so it ends at your belt, match a tie clip colour to the metal on your belt, leather belt colour matching your shoes, etc. Nail all those little details.

General comment: I was in a similar situation to you, same age and not needing a suit...until I did need one. Without knowing any better, I went to Moores (Men's Wearhouse for our USA friends), and bought a couple crappy suits. The salesguy was a lousy fitter and it showed. I went to a local specialty shop during one of their sales and picked up a Strellson for $400 (normally $800). The fabric was nicer than the Moores junk I had, but by far the most important thing is that the guy who fitted me is an expert. He has been doing this for decades and knew exactly what he was doing. That suit fits amazingly well! I was at a wine tasting night and wore it and two complete strangers complimented me on how I looked. So my advice is to find an older fella at a specialty shop and work with him. Stay away from Moores, Tip Top, etc.

Down the road if you do well, you can increase your budget and look at some better suit choices. Good luck!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd look into Spier & Mackay given your location and budget.

CarSalesman

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I think the suit separates is a cool alternative plus I can add as i go and mix and match. For the industry I'm in it may work better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads