1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

5 days of work, 5 pairs of working shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by markfjh, Apr 22, 2014.

1. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I would get a second pair of black captoe oxfords if you are wearing suits regularly.

2. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Roger that is a wondeful collection! I work in downtown in Toronto as well, where did you manage to find Vass shoes? (online?)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Thank you - and yes, my Vass shoes were purchased on-line. I have been lobbying LeatherFoot to become the first Canadian retailer of Vass shoes - it would be a happy day if they ever agree.

4. borbor

borbor Senior member

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Meh - I dunno - if getting to the store was any kind of a hassle for me and I was going to make one specific purchase and for no other reason, I'd probably call or e-mail first. If for no other reason than to ask them to put it aside until I got there. I've never been denied a purchase on the basis that they would only sell a given pair by mail, but if that was in fact the case then I agree the restriction should have been made clear.

And personally, I love the fact that they have so many St. C on display. I doubt another retailer has 50-plus pairs in-store at any given time. The displays aren't any less pristine now - there's just a greater portion of St. C. versus other brands. But I'm hardly surprised that a premium Yorkville retailer stocks a higher percentage of top-end items. Walk down the road a bit to Royal de Versailles and count the number of Tudor watches on display. Then count the number of Rolex.

Space is an issue - it's a small store and there's only so much of it - but I think they do a pretty good job. And I know they are looking to expand the shoe displays on the south wall.

Given that they are all of one year into essentially uncharted territory for Toronto, I think they are doing a terrific job. Heck, the trunk shows alone have been a tremendous and completely free learning opportunities for their customers - not to mention a lot of fun. I sure would hate to go back to the bad old days when premium local shoe shopping meant Prada and Ferragamo at Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew.

I'm not sure what your beef is with their Carmina stock. It's certainly been enough to sell me 3 or 4 pairs.

6. borbor

borbor Senior member

It's not just carmina :) Lobbs and G&G I found was lacking in variety.

To draw on your parallel, that's like seeing 10 JLCs to every 1 Rolex.

The trunk shows, as you said are awesome. Loved the fact that they are hosting those.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I've had so-so experiences. Agreed on the Carmina stock being a little meh (only really carry some basics), but if they're selling the St Crispins in high enough volume you may as well put the higher margin stuff on display. Wasn't too pleased with the service last time though. Went in for a quick look and to ask about which summer collections were coming in and wasn't exaclty treated that nicely. I was on my way back from the gym so I had my jeans and sneakers on, but I've never agreed with having to "dress up" for a store, they should be happy to have a prospective client (especially since I was actually showing interest in a future purchase).

8. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

That being said I'd take them over Harry Rosen any day. $800 for some gaudy Ferramganos with a huge label on the side....eeeeesh I remember those days. Kudos to bringing some quality to the city. Haven't been to a trunk show, are they that good?