• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5 awesome fall SCs 40--Caruso, Boglioli, Polo Italy, Oxxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a collection of really nice size 40s sportcoats from my own closet. The Caruso was purchased NWOT from TRINI, and I purchased the rest new. FYI, for those of you who have purchased TRINI’s SCs before, you'll love these, since they all fit similarly—nice slimmer silhouettes without being skintight. The ones that have been worn have been worn only by me, and are in gently used, excellent condition. All have been very well cared for. I'm moving and need to clear out some closet room, hence they are for sale. I strongly prefer to ship in the CONUS, but contact me for other countries and we can perhaps work something out.

1. $285 Boglioli gun club check SC, tagged 40R but works for an S. Beautiful 100% wool, kind of a gauzy, stretchy feel, like a sweater; really cool. The archetypal gunclub pattern, awesome with grey flannel and jeans alike, perfect for F/W. Made in Italy, completed unlined (except for sleeves) and unpadded cardigan construction, pick stitching everywhere, two patch hip pockets/welt breast “barchetta” curved pocket, dual vents, 3 roll 2.5. A wardrobe essential. Worn a handful of times, in absolutely pristine condition; I had the sleeves shortened, otherwise no alterations. Working cuffs.

Chest: 21”
Shoulders: 18”
Sleeve: 24.25” (about 2” extra opposite the buttons)
BOC: 29.25”

5. $200 Boglioli navy with blue/brown subtle plaid SC, tagged 40R but works for an S. An awesome 50/50 linen-cotton blend, but a heavier material, which is why I’m listing it with the other fall items—it’s a really cool casual blend that you wouldn’t normally encounter for F/W wear. Subtle brown POW pattern with lighter blue overcheck, probably comes out more in photos than IRL. Made in Italy, completely unlined (except for sleeves) and unpadded sweater construction, pick stitching everywhere, two patch hip pockets/welt breast “barchetta” curved pocket, dual vents, 3 roll 2. Really cool smoked MOP buttons. Worn a handful of times, in excellent condition; I had the sleeves shortened (see pics), otherwise no alterations. Working cuffs.

Chest: 21.25”
Shoulders: 18.25”
Sleeve: 24.25” (about 2” extra opposite the buttons)
BOC: 29.75”

3. NWOT $395 Caruso awesome tweed brown/olive mélange SC, tagged 50 8R but works for an S. 100% fuzzy, heavy, awesome wool tweed in a super versatile weave of fall colors; works well with denim all the way up to flannels, and the weight means it is great for outerwear when you don’t feel like throwing on a jacket. A fall essential. Made in Italy to Caruso mainline standards (full canvass), unlined (except for sleeves) very soft construction, super comfortable. Cool swelled edge detail, two patch/welt breast pockets, dual vents 3 roll 2.5. Bought NWOT from TRINI, and I haven’t worn it. Working cuffs.

Shoulders: 18”
Sleeve: 24.25” (with about 2” extra opposite the buttons)
BOC: 29.5”

4. $525 Oxxford classic navy blazer 40s. Pains me to part with this, as it’s a really special piece. Quality is stunningly out of this world—hand finishing everywhere (check out details on the beautiful buttonholes, the hand-sewn bartacks on the hip pockets, the lapel pad stitching) in typical Oxxford fashion; full canvass goes without saying. Beautiful hopsack-y navy blazer fabric with cool MOP shell buttons—no one will mistake this for an orphaned suit jacket. 2 button, two flapped hip/breast welt pockets, fully lined, dual vents (try finding that on most Oxxfords!). Best part is the fit: it’s quite a flattering silhouette! More structure in the shoulders than the other guys here, but pretty moderate padding, and quite well shaped lines—not your Dad’s Otswensia, and defies Oxxford’s generally sack-like reputation. Barely worn, in pristine, as-new condition; bought last year. Can’t say enough about the quality of this piece—buttonholes, finished on both sides, are the best I’ve ever seen. A classic American navy blazer of superlative quality with a more modern fit. Had the sleeves finished and sides taken in by a tailor who does bespoke work (ie he recut the side seam), so really great alterations work. Working cuffs. Price is higher, yes, but it's an Oxxford, and the classic navy blazer no less.

Shoulders: 18.75” (fit similarly to others, just have some padding as opposed to the zero padding in the other items)
Sleeve: 24” (with about 2” extra opposite the buttons)
BOC: 29.5”

5. $245 Polo Italy (Corneliani) lightweight navy blazer, highly sought-after “Grant Soft” model, 40s. A great lightweight navy wool fabric, quarter lined, unpadded construction consistent with the “Grant Soft” line—those of you who’ve tried this style know how awesome the silhouette and feel is. 3 roll 2 with brown horn buttons, 3 open patch pockets, dual vents, pick stitching. Great for warmer fall days, and into winter if you prefer a lighter weight jacket. Worn a handful of times, in excellent condition—one sleeve’s button is coming a bit unraveled (shown in pic), but an easy fix. Had sleeves lengthened and sides slimmed. Not much else to say, it’s a great piece you’ll wear again and again. Non-functional cuffs
Shoulder:
Sleeve: 24.25” (maybe .5” allowance, very little)
BOC: 29”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads