• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

$5,000 Gaultier Umbrella Trashed by Supermodel

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Case of the $5K designer umbrella ruled frivolity A Manhattan judge has rained on the parade of a hoity-toity restaurant owner who soaked model Le Call with a $1 million suit over a broken $5,000 designer umbrella.Supreme Court Justice Joan Madden tossed Nello Balan's suit - then slapped his lawyer with a $500 fine for wasting the court's time on a matter that belonged in small-claims court. Balan, the owner of Madison Ave. celebrity magnet Nello's, sued lingerie lovely Le Call after the limited-edition leather umbrella he loaned her in April 2007 was returned months later in pieces. Balan claimed he suffered "emotional distress" over the loss of the "treasured" umbrella given to him by French fashion designer Jean-Paul Gaultier. "An apology is in order," Balan said. "It's what is civilized." The model, he said, ignored his repeated requests to return the umbrella, leading him to label her a "boulevardier" and a "petite voleuse." "She never returned it," he said. "Is that normal, is that polite?" Balan's suit says a chauffeur showed up at Nello's last November to return the broken umbrella. After Balan rejected it, a messenger returned to Nello's days later with an umbrella that had been fused together, the suit alleged, with "traces of glue" that were "noticeable to the eye and palpable to the touch." Balan had filed court papers saying he would have to pay Gaultier $30,000 to buy the copyright if he wanted a replica of the umbrella, drawing a fierce response from Madden. "There is no factual or legal basis for seeking $30,000 in damages for replacing an umbrella allegedly valued new at $5,000," she wrote. Representatives for Le Call, a blonde beauty who has been linked to actor Owen Wilson, did not return calls for comment. Balan said he has loaded up on cheap umbrellas from street vendors to avoid similar flaps in the future. "When someone asks me now, I just give it to them." http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...umbrella_.html

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Idiot Restaurateur Loses Umbrella, Language Skills \t\t \t \t \t\t\t
Nello Balan, the Ophidian-necked restaurateur, loaned a $1,000 "leather, limited-edition Jean Paul Gaultier" umbrella to a model friend of his named Le Call. Le Call, a model who has made a habit of receiving goods from kinda pathetic figures in the restaurant industry, refused to give the umbrella back. This made Nello very mad so he drafted a note to Le Call which "somehow" appeared in Page Six today. \t \t\t\t\t\t
I offered it to you because it was raining because I am a gentleman and I thought you are a lady. You called yourself an asshole! ....it may be true.... Stop behaving like a boulevardier [street person] and a petite voleuse [petty thief]. You don't give me the umbrella, I sue you.​
According to dictionary.com, boulevardier is "a sophisticated, worldly, and socially active man; a man who frequents fashionable places; a man-about-town," so that's a weird thing to tell someone to stop being! (Babelfish renders it in English as "boulevardier.") "La petite voleuse," on the other hand, is justly used to refer to the great 80s film of that name, which has as its star an adorable young Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Your dictionnary sucks, boulevardier could possibly used as an insult as it refers to comedians and assorted demi-monde courtesans. If a bitch messed with my nice umbrella I'd be pissed too. That guy does sound like an hyperactive fairy though but that's to be expected.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I wanted to post this from Fark, but I see some enterprising ninja beat me to it.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd hit it, Le Call.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Meh. We have more beautiful women than her in the Atlanta burbs.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
1st mistake 5k for an umbrella
2nd loaning it to someone
3rd becoming emotionally disturbed when it is returned to you broken

verdict, 3 strikes your out... suck it up dude.

this reminds me of the shit you see on judge judy in the mid afternoons:

'shirley borrowed my brand new Jeff Gordon Nascar crockpot and it got broked, i need money... I cain't just go down to the walmarts and buy me a new one, i got mouths to feed and this ********* thinks she can break my stuff and I ain't gonna do nothin about it'

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 84 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 139 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%