• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$477 for Polo Darlton Penny - Worth It?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I paid about as much, and find them to have been a good buy. They fit true to size, at least for me.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should be $477 + another 15% = $405

I don't know whether the extra 15% is working online or not, but if not I'd call one of the stores and have them send them out to you.

As far as 'worth it', depends on how badly you want them. It's probably the best price you're going to find anytime soon on brown shell cordovan penny loafers in your size. You miiiiight do better if you wait and hawn ebay and the B&S forum - but it might take you two years to find them and they might be used.

If those are what you want, you probably won't do much better. I doubt shell is coming back down anytime soon.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the wingtip better and I would buy them now if I didn't have them already.

If you were planning on getting the pennys already, you will not likely see a better price in the next year or 2. You will possibly see the same price come up again during the same sale next year though.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Darlton loafers. I think I paid around $400 or maybe a little less for mine, and thought it was a steal.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
IMO, the only penny worth that much money is the Weston 180. Shell cordovan be damned.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Is this the same as the C&J Harvard? And how does it stack up against the Alden LHS?
I wear my Alden's more than the Darlton's, but both are very good shoes.

Bsquared

Reaction score
At $405 I pulled the trigger. I already have Alden Shell #8 longwings, or I would go for the wings. I'm in the hunt for a nice pair of casual shoes. Hopefully, these fill the bill.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the one in the middle was my polo darlton when i had it.
Picture043.jpg

what a beau. it is perhaps pound per pound the best cordovan shoe out there for its price. it's worth even paying 600 dollars for it.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I love the Darlton loafers. I think I paid around $400 or maybe a little less for mine, and thought it was a steal.

+1

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Is this the same as the C&J Harvard? And how does it stack up against the Alden LHS?

Similar to the C&J Harvard, but the Harvard is a half strap and the Darlton is a full strap.

treegarden

Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of the wingtips in brown at the sale price of ~ $405. First wearing today. These are awesome shoes. Couldn't be more pleased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads