• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

45rpm

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain what the different Sub-lines are?
I would love to know as well.

Never been to a flagship store (don't live close at all) so I picked up some older lookbooks hoping to get more info on the lines, but no luck.

Not Carl

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what the different Sub-lines are?
Gosh I haven't posted on this website in probably a decade at this point but I periodically check on this thread 3-4 times a year desperate for any information people can share with me. 45r (formerly 45rpm) is by far my favorite brand and I own a copious amount of their clothing (wayyyy too much). The first visit I had to the Mercer St. store in 2005 is etched in my brain. Let me see if I can help...

I'll try and keep this somewhat chronological from my memory so some things might be slightly off.

North Marine Drive - older line from the mid 80's through early 2000's. Still made occasionally but mostly for t-shirts. Some jackets from NMD were done in the late 2000's.

Badou-R - The highest end line no longer in production. Late 90's, I want to say 1998 through around 2010. Very little mens clothing comes from Badou-R other then some jeans and some of the eastern shirts (which were insanely expensive retail at the time, like $1100+ a decade or more ago).

R by 45rpm - The indigo only line. Stopped sometime in the mid 2000's. My favorite.

45rpm& - The more casual of the "vintage" lines (compared to r by45rpm and badou-r). Pieces from this can vary in scope.

45 AI Indigo - Natural indigo dyed line. Everything in this line uses natural dyes, not always indigo. 2005/6 through 2012 maybe.

Umii908 - Nautical inspired line introduced in the mid 2000's. Now currently represents all of the unisex clothing.

45r - This is what 45rpm rebranded as in 2012/2013, something like that.

That's pretty much it unless you go for the stuff from 1978 through the early 90's

I would love it if there were a more active online forum to talk about 45r. The store employees are generally very knowledgeable but sometimes limited in the historical sense. I've tried emailing 45r japan countless times about getting more information with limited success.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still new to this brand and trying to learn more about it. I managed to pick up some older lookbooks from Japan a while ago and their fits from 10 years ago still hold up. So refreshing to see in the world of fast moving fashion.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Not my fits of course but I really liked these from recent lookbooks:
1597862990192.png

1597863005565.png
1597863015108.png
1597863021453.png

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've had the best look books for years. I still have a collection somewhere in my house.

Not Carl

Reaction score
A couple of comments:

- AI Indigo is very much still going as a designation: https://45ronlinestore.jp/shop/e/eaindigo

- The current vintage line is called 'Heritage', but it doesn't have its own space on the website.
:slayer: (love that they still have my smiley all these years later)

Someone needs to post a fit!
me? yikes...no, those days are long gone...anonymity is the name of the game in 2020

Not my fits of course but I really liked these from recent lookbooks:
View attachment 1443632
such a wonderful shirt, probably my favorite piece from the last couple seasons

I'd love to stick around if this thread stays more active

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads