• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

45 RPM...the best?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does 45 RPM really make the best jeans? Really? Or just the most expensive.
What makes them so good? They are not the heaviest, slubbiest or anything-est, just traditional. So what is it?

I like 45 RPM but im not sure if it's really all that. I'll see when my sorahikos come in the mail.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5EP and 45 RPM are both jeans of outstanding quality. I'm not sure there is a "best" jean but certainly those two are among the best in terms of quality of construction. The rest is just opinion.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id like to add kohzo

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
5EP and 45 RPM are both jeans of outstanding quality. I'm not sure there is a "best" jean but certainly those two are among the best in terms of quality of construction. The rest is just opinion.

i wouldn't put 5ep in the same category as 45rpm.....brands like 45rpm and kohzo are doing some next level ****. nandoxnando for 45rpm and the ******* kevlar kohzo's. I have pair of kohzo's i got from a yoox sale for $60 last year...they're really amazing jeans. suede back pocket...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i wouldn't put 5ep in the same category as 45rpm.....brands like 45rpm and kohzo are doing some next level ****. nandoxnando for 45rpm and the ******* kevlar kohzo's. I have pair of kohzo's i got from a yoox sale for $60 last year...they're really amazing jeans. suede back pocket...

agreeed 5ep shoudlnt be in the same category

savage

Reaction score
Maybe the 45rpm has nice in construction, but I don't like the fit.

I haven't seek kohzo but i've been keeping my eye on them, and they look awesome!!

5ep is supposed to be coming out with some new kind of infused selvedge raw denim for the fw07 season... Christine says it will be the first of it's kind ?!?!?!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the higher end R jeans and most of the Kohzo line are better and/or more innovative than 5EPs. Kohzo, in particular, has some amazing fabrics and treatments. (Suede back pockets I'm not impressed with, however. This type of extraneous leather detail was common on jeans in the 80s.) However, at the "entry level", I would say that 5EPs are comparable in quality and construction to Soraikos (never spell that correctly!) The denim actually looks quite similar. Of course, the styles of the jeans are quite different.

Certainly, the construction and design of 5EP jeans is *much* better than that of pretty much all the jeans of every repro company I've seen. For example, the fly buttons on 5EP jeans are placed just a little closer together than those on SDA jeans, which prevents the fly from gaping, not matter how taut the jeans are across the front. Denim quality is always difficult to define, but definitely the denim used for 5EP jeans has more complex texture and color than the denim used by all but the highest end Japanese manufacturers.

Reaction score
i wouldn't call 45rpm "traditional" at all
very modern jeans, actually
i think the sorahikos are great jeans for the price
their natural indigo offerings, not so sure----especially when you compare them to sugar cane's AI jeans

what makes them special?
they are in control of the production from start to finish
the cuts are great
their dying methods are laborious and excellent
great cotton gives the jeans a luxurious hand-feel (i've never handled the suvin, only the zimbabwean, so i don't know if it is worth getting their upper-tier jeans for this reason)

anyhow, they make very sophisticated choices; the thin, rolled belt loops; the one off-set rear belt loop; the little "R" in lieu of an arcuate; copper burr rivets

i really like their jeans a lot.

i know i want LEE-inspired jeans for my next pair, but i'm choosing sugar cane's sc40300 over the UMIIs-----i can't seem to find the reason why the latter cost twice as much.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i wouldn't call 45rpm "traditional" at all
very modern jeans, actually
i think the sorahikos are great jeans for the price
their natural indigo offerings, not so sure----especially when you compare them to sugar cane's AI jeans

what makes them special?
they are in control of the production from start to finish
the cuts are great
their dying methods are laborious and excellent
great cotton gives the jeans a luxurious hand-feel (i've never handled the suvin, only the zimbabwean, so i don't know if it is worth getting their upper-tier jeans for this reason)

anyhow, they make very sophisticated choices; the thin, rolled belt loops; the one off-set rear belt loop; the little "R" in lieu of an arcuate; copper burr rivets

i really like their jeans a lot.

i know i want LEE-inspired jeans for my next pair, but i'm choosing sugar cane's sc40300 over the UMIIs-----i can't seem to find the reason why the latter cost twice as much.

I agree with you on all points (re R45RPM jeans) except for the price. At US prices, there are better options. However, in Japan, at about $220, Soraikos are definitely a really good buy for the quality.

Reaction score
ah, yes, you are right. i paid the jp price for my sumi sorahikos ($205)
at $333 for the same jeans in the US, i'd probably buy top shelf sugar canes (at jp prices) instead

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the R 45 Jomons. If I were to purchase something from 45 RPM, the Jomons would be it. They are probably one of the most coveted jeans in the "niche" world. I'm very intrigued and interested in the Jomons. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available here in Los Angeles. I would like to see it and try it on before I make the investment.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that the higher end R jeans and most of the Kohzo line are better and/or more innovative than 5EPs. Kohzo, in particular, has some amazing fabrics and treatments. (Suede back pockets I'm not impressed with, however. This type of extraneous leather detail was common on jeans in the 80s.) However, at the "entry level", I would say that 5EPs are comparable in quality and construction to Soraikos (never spell that correctly!) The denim actually looks quite similar. Of course, the styles of the jeans are quite different. Certainly, the construction and design of 5EP jeans is *much* better than that of pretty much all the jeans of every repro company I've seen. For example, the fly buttons on 5EP jeans are placed just a little closer together than those on SDA jeans, which prevents the fly from gaping, not matter how taut the jeans are across the front. Denim quality is always difficult to define, but definitely the denim used for 5EP jeans has more complex texture and color than the denim used by all but the highest end Japanese manufacturers.
i didn't mean suede back pocket, i meant suede back patch.... these jawns http://www.kohzo.ch/sasawashi.html
SASAWASHI LINE ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS it may be surprising to learn that your KOhZO jeans have a lot in common with food. particularly healthy food. the connection is kumazasa, a wide-leaf bamboo native to japan. this plant is commonly used to wrap rice balls and other food, because of its purifying effect. mixing kumazasa leaves with rice paper, cutting the sheets into strips, and twisting each strip gives rise to sasawashi yarn - the fabric KOhZO uses in making your jeans. THE HEALTH BENEFIS OF DRESSING WELL not only do your sasawashi KOhZOs look and feel great, but they are actually good for you! recent studies have proven kumazasa plants to be beneficial for the human body, particularly for delicate skin. it contains antibacterial as well as antiallergenic substances, while aiding blood circulation. plus, the porous fiber of sasawashi absorbs excess water and blocks ultraviolet rays. each time you slide into the elegant comfort of your KOhZO jeans, your body will thank you. all of our products are manufactured with extreme care and attention to the environment. we thank you for purchasing KOhZOs

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I agree with you on all points (re R45RPM jeans) except for the price. At US prices, there are better options. However, in Japan, at about $220, Soraikos are definitely a really good buy for the quality.

I'd even say at the US pricepoint they're good value. I'd much rather spend $348 for a pair of nandoXnando then spend $265 for a pair of RRDS nudies. Ever since nudie jacked their prices, I cannot fathom spending that much money for a pair of nudies every again. At the former price of $165, they were a steal, but $265? I'd never suggest anyone spending $265 on a pair of jeans to buy nudies. What's the price of 5EP's?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
I'd even say at the US pricepoint they're good value. I'd much rather spend $348 for a pair of nandoXnando then spend $265 for a pair of RRDS nudies. Ever since nudie jacked their prices, I cannot fathom spending that much money for a pair of nudies every again. At the former price of $165, they were a steal, but $265? I'd never suggest anyone spending $265 on a pair of jeans to buy nudies. What's the price of 5EP's?

I think that $265 is exorbitant for Nudies, but at the price you can ge tthem from from Denim Bar (198), they are not a bad deal, about the same as the European price (outsided of Scandanavia), especiallt with the low dollar.

5EPs retail about $250 for the raw, and up to $300 for the dark worn, depending on the retailer. I'd say that even at this price, they are a better buy than the US price for R jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics