1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

42R vs 42L

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oldskool, Feb 20, 2005.

1. oldskool

oldskool Senior member

I wear a 42R in most suits, Paul Stuart 42M/L - I am 5'10", medium build.

Can I buy a 42L and have it cut to fit? Is it just sleeves and pants that are longer on an L vs an R or is the jacket much longer and the drop, etc.

Thank you.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe. You can shorten the coat, but you can't move the pockets or change the button stance. So you might end up with a coat who's balance is off, and that looks really low-waisted.

3. oldskool

oldskool Senior member

Thanks. What is the break point for R to L? 6' tall?

4. Manton

Good question. That sounds about right, or maybe 6' 1". I know that I'm a 41XL, and I'm a shade taller than 6'4". I'm not sure about other sizes, however. Does anyone know of an online chart that lays all this out, size by size?

5. benchan

benchan Senior member

No hard and fast rule. Each person upper and lower body proportion is different.

Even if you shortern the coat, the waist hits differently on a long cut suit versus a regular cut.

6. StagRaven

StagRaven Well-Known Member

No hard and fast rule. Each person upper and lower body proportion is different.
    I agree with this very strongly. I am also 5'10", medium build. In most of my fittings for RTW, it is pointed out to me that I am slightly too tall for a 42R, but just barely too short for a 42L. It's a matter of the length of my torso compared to my legs. I've come to accept it as a fact of not buying custom, as it's just one more measurement where I fall between the 'norms'.

7. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior member

For reference, I am ~6'3+ and wear a 42L. I think trying to cut a *L suit to *R would be a bit strange due to pockets and buttons as described previously.

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

I think that it is easy to alter and that nobody would see that your pocket is 2 cm below.

I have the same problem but haven't tailored the jacket yet.

9. Manton

Another thing to consider: shortening the jacket shortens the vent(s), if any. Vent can't be lengthened.