• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

42 or 43 Longs

tgfny

Reaction score
I just returned from my daily foray into the fantasyland that is the PS Sample sale. Bought 9 suits including 2 of the wrong size jacket in order to get the pants so that I can have 2 pair of pants (1 flat front and 1 pleated.) At 250 per, how can you go wrong? I couldn't just let those SC suits just sit there; they're just too nice. Anyways I am now long 13 suits and don't wear 'em all that much, so if anyone wants to provide any a good home, let me know. Price is what I paid. Be in NYC or have someone to pick it up, 'cause I don't feel like dealing with shipping. This is just offered as a favor to anyone who will provide these a good home. Will happily keep them all.

tgfny

Reaction score
Got it. Will post pics when I get home and look through the assortment and see with which I can bear to part and let some others in on the fun.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Did you get ALL of the 42L's that were there this morning?

tgfny

Reaction score
Did you get ALL of the 42L's that were there this morning?
Just the SC's, couldn't let some of the schmoes that were there and wouldn't appreciate the SC suits for the quality that they are reap the benefits. They'd just see it as a $250 suit. There weren't that many SC's left. Got the Indiana Jones one as well. Couldn't lay off at 250.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Got the Indiana Jones one as well. Couldn't lay off at 250.
Good for you.. Do you think you'll get it altered to fit you, or are you hoping a real-life Indy takes it off your hands?

If you get a chance, you should post pics so that other SF members can see this great suit (although the pics probably won't do the fabric justice).

tgfny

Reaction score
(tgfny @ April 15 2005,11:57) Got the Indiana Jones one as well. Couldn't lay off at 250.
Good for you.. Do you think you'll get it altered to fit you, or are you hoping a real-life Indy takes it off your hands? If you get a chance, you should post pics so that other SF members can see this great suit (although the pics probably won't do the fabric justice).
No way that leaves my hands. Gotta big trip to the tailor. Have used Dynasty and liked em in the past. Who do you sugggest?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
If you use Dynasty and like'em, why change?

I usually go to Ignacio's on East 60th between Park and Lex.
They do alterations for a lot of clothing stores, and a salesman at Barneys recommended them. I've probably had 4 or 5 suits, 5 odd jackets, and 20 pairs of pants done there, with no issues. One caveat to my recommendation: I only buy a jacket if I'm VERY satisfied with the fit when I try it on. (The most I would even consider is a nipping-in at the waist.) So I have no idea if Ignacio's is good at doing complicated alterations. The only thing I ask them to do is alter the sleeve-length, and depending on the jacket, add working buttonholes.

tgfny

Reaction score
If you use Dynasty and like'em, why change?

I usually go to Ignacio's on East 60th between Park and Lex.
They do alterations for a lot of clothing stores, and a salesman at Barneys recommended them. I've probably had 4 or 5 suits, 5 odd jackets, and 20 pairs of pants done there, with no issues. One caveat to my recommendation: I only buy a jacket if I'm VERY satisfied with the fit when I try it on. (The most I would even consider is a nipping-in at the waist.) So I have no idea if Ignacio's is good at doing complicated alterations. The only thing I ask them to do is alter the sleeve-length, and depending on the jacket, add working buttonholes.
I've never had em do any jackets, only recut pants.

Buster

Reaction score
I asked this question before, regarding the suits I purchased in this sale, and someone advised me to go to the PS store and do it there. Why won't you do it?

B

tgfny

Reaction score
I asked this question before, regarding the suits I purchased in this sale, and someone advised me to go to the PS store and do it there. Why won't you do it?

B
Cuz I spoke with the guy from PS and he said the store will nnot be doing any alterations on these suits.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Hmm. PS could be missing out on some extra revenue here....the alteration fees are probably a pretty high percentage of the cost of these suits...

tgfny

Reaction score
Hmm. PS could be missing out on some extra revenue here....the alteration fees are probably a pretty high percentage of the cost of these suits...
Yeah, a lot of revenues, but a ton of labor expense. I can't imagine any alteration dept is a big profit maker for these stores.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Patrick Bateman @ April 15 2005,12:57) Hmm. PS could be missing out on some extra revenue here....the alteration fees are probably a pretty high percentage of the cost of these suits...
Yeah, a lot of revenues, but a ton of labor expense. I can't imagine any alteration dept is a big profit maker for these stores.
In store alterations are usually a courtesy for customers, with the price being subsidized by the shop. I think PS would have to close it's door with the number of alterations need to accomodate the sale... lol.

tgfny

Reaction score
Here the come. Bought two of each of these to get the extra pants at $225. Brown 43 R and 43 L lighter is 42L and 42 semi tall. bought the 43R and the 42 semi tall just for the extra pants and would get rid or em if anybody wants 'em.
dsc000595lk.jpg
dsc000603pv.jpg
43L bought yterday for 300 orig 1194. Conservative for a banker.
dsc000646iz.jpg
also conservative bought yesterday for 400 orig 1524 43 semitall
dsc000690ax.jpg
Stuart's Choice nail head. I bought 3: 2 43L one for 400 and one 43XL for 225. orig 1294 and are gorgeous.
dsc000683vm.jpg
dsc000845sx.jpg
winter suit today for 225 43L 1194 orig.
dsc000723vf.jpg
two plaids 42L 900 and 1194 respectively 250 and 225 paid
dsc000703az.jpg
dsc000711pz.jpg
my prize SC from 1984 bought for 400. Gorgeous.
dsc000818dv.jpg
If I don't win pimp of the year in this bad boy, somethings wrong 150 from 1490
dsc000791yp.jpg
dsc000807la.jpg
Sport coats come later. Haven't decided for sure what I'm keeping and what I'll pass all on at cost. Be in NYC or have someone to pick it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads