• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40th Anniversary of the Death of Jimi Hendrix

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SRV was a better guitarist.
smack.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
SRV was a better guitarist.
smack.gif

You can't be serious. The only people who could possibly compare would be Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You can't be serious. The only people who could possibly compare would be Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.

If memory serves, SRV and Clapton were both performing at the same venue one stormy night and upon facing the prospect of following Stevie's (last) performance Clapton's quote was "How am I supposed to follow that?". Later, Stevie took a chance and boarded a risky flight out, Eric didn't take that chance.

Both EC and SRV are commonly ranked as top seven thru top 3 all-time with Duane Allman and others also comparable. I didn't say better.

I'd love to hear contributions from some musicians.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I've had a recent resurge of interest in his stuff. Absolutely love his style, epitome of effortless cool. Some think he wasn't the best singer, but I think this was ideal because it drew your attention to his magnificent guitar, and in a way I think the imperfections in his voice complimented his style, kind of like Bob Dylan (though lets end the comparison there
laugh.gif
). Electric Ladyland should be prescribed listening for anyone with a semblence of musical interest.

Albern

Reaction score
Here's my take on Hendrix and SRV from a musical perspective (a fellow guitar player myself who's played works from both):

- as a composer, I think Hendrix was much more gifted. SRV focused on blues and grammatically it is quite limited (12 bar blues structure); a lot of his songs, even on the same album start to overlap one another.
- On guitar chops - I think SRV was better. He could play a lot faster and more consistently. Hendrix had some interesting solos and neat melody / accompanying lines with the guitar. Hendrix playing was a mixed bag of good and bad - I blame it on the drugs.
- Music education - were both on the same page since neither were formally trained; however, each had a good understanding of music sufficient enough to get by (if that makes sense).
- Do I think one is "better" than the other - No, they are both great in their own right and it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't soil a hendrix memorial thread with any S*V bullshit. he was an overrated copycat cocksmoker and GTFO with that ****. no comparison.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slash was just as good as Jimi technically, but obviously much less influential/creative. Way less legacy with Slash as well.

But if I go down that path then I have to include all the other technically proficient guitarists who didn't really have much else to their resume like Vai, Satriani, etc. And SRV would be up there for technical skills too.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Slash was just as good as Jimi technically, but obviously much less influential/creative. Way less legacy with Slash as well.

But if I go down that path then I have to include all the other technically proficient guitarists who didn't really have much else to their resume like Vai, Satriani, etc. And SRV would be up there for technical skills too.

Exactly, these are all very competent guitarists. Learning Vai's stuff is very difficult initially but at the end of the day it is just all speed and very little by way of musical vocabulary.

These days I'm always trying to find musical talent by way of how well someone composes. There are a lot of great players out there but out of that group, how many can write interesting music? To me Hendrix was great because he was an excellent composer first, and a neat guitarist second.

To this day Purple Haze is "simple" tune technically but is nonetheless an amazing song.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would say, make a thread to talk about who is better, compare and contrast, etc. In this one, just RIP a major talent that died too early and left an incredible legacy, in his short time.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
img0030tp.jpg

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He made Little Wing. Little Wing...

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Here's my take on Hendrix and SRV from a musical perspective (a fellow guitar player myself who's played works from both):

- as a composer, I think Hendrix was much more gifted. SRV focused on blues and grammatically it is quite limited (12 bar blues structure); a lot of his songs, even on the same album start to overlap one another.
- On guitar chops - I think SRV was better. He could play a lot faster and more consistently. Hendrix had some interesting solos and neat melody / accompanying lines with the guitar. Hendrix playing was a mixed bag of good and bad - I blame it on the drugs.
- Music education - were both on the same page since neither were formally trained; however, each had a good understanding of music sufficient enough to get by (if that makes sense).
- Do I think one is "better" than the other - No, they are both great in their own right and it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Nice analysis. That sums it up for me pretty well. Don't really see the point in saying who was better. Music is not a race.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads