• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s-/50s-style quarter-length sleeve T-shirts?

bigbrother690

Reaction score
For years and years I've been very interested in the very short-sleeve style of T-shirt you see on WWII service members, Marlon Brando, and the like. References:

https://maritime.org/pres/potrack/pots.htm

https://img.posterlounge.co.uk/images/big/1870228.jpg

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5ac3a6d7fcbcc5334fdfad94/master/pass/571109_r31901.jpg

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/a73c...at&fit=max&s=6def5b687b07c9db1810438fe32119da

I've found nothing pre-made that's cut like this for men today (I even tried women's cuts which did somewhat well, but failed in certain parts.) My best approximation is a style of Uniqlo T-shirt that fits well and I roll the sleeves. I had my tailor try fixing the roll, and then just shortening the sleeves, and neither worked out well.

Do you know anyone who might make these today?

There are a few WWII repro vendors who make these but they're usually very expensive and sold overseas from me:

and aren't available in the usual spectrum of T-shirt colors available today (I'd like different grays, black, etc. in addition to white.)

Thanks all!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try Levi's Vintage Clothing's 1950s t-shirt. It's a reproduction of the tee that Levi's sold in the 1950s.

The tee is available at End in the UK, Canoe Club, Stag Provisions, and most Levi's flagships (possibly also Levi's online store). If you can't find it online, you can call the Levi's flagship in San Francisco. I'm sure they can do a phone order.

bigbrother690

Reaction score
Try Levi's Vintage Clothing's 1950s t-shirt. It's a reproduction of the tee that Levi's sold in the 1950s.

The tee is available at End in the UK, Canoe Club, Stag Provisions, and most Levi's flagships (possibly also Levi's online store). If you can't find it online, you can call the Levi's flagship in San Francisco. I'm sure they can do a phone order.
I recall looking at them online and they’re a bit too loose (at least in the photos) for what I’m after, unfortunately:

Plus at $88 a pop I can’t really justify buying the ~10 I’d want :). Thanks though!

pwbower

Reaction score
Have you looked at Bronson MFG? I just got their ss breton tee and the ringspun tube, both of which make me feel like I should be swabbing a deck.

Last edited:

bigbrother690

Reaction score
Have you looked at Bronson MFG? I just got their ss breton tee and the ringspun tube, both of which make me feel like I should be swabbing a deck.

Had a look- they're certainly close but I feel the sleeves aren't short enough.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He looks like he would be served for dinner on a World War II submarine.

408500072-alt6-pdp.jpg

bigbrother690

Reaction score
He looks like he would be served for dinner on a World War II submarine.

View attachment 1630016
It’s funny, not sure if you’re referring to his build or his grooming, but most of the men in WWII were far more diminutive than today owing to the subpar nutrition of the era and the Depression specifically. Most were also extremely young. Point is, many men on a submarine in WWII looked exactly like this guy. Try shopping for vintage military uniforms from the era and you’ll see what I mean. A size 38 was midrange to large... or sitting in WWII-era vehicles and equipment. As an example of all this, have a look at the two pilots who got up in the air during Pearl Harbor and actually shot down several Japanese planes. They did not look like Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett :)...

Boy Scouts anyone? :) Yeah, WWII guys were often built and looked like kids today.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that style is called *cap sleeve* t shirt for internet search

poking around looks like rick owens has done an oversize, champion offers a raglan version as stock looks like there are a couple of makers it's a pretty basic athletic style even if not super widely available

looking at the pics i think you could easily handsew your hemline on a base of your choice those are set-in sleeves in the pics not particularly boxy set at all

i really like this direction btw is good n interesting

pwbower

Reaction score
It’s funny, not sure if you’re referring to his build or his grooming, but most of the men in WWII were far more diminutive than today owing to the subpar nutrition of the era and the Depression specifically. Most were also extremely young. Point is, many men on a submarine in WWII looked exactly like this guy. Try shopping for vintage military uniforms from the era and you’ll see what I mean. A size 38 was midrange to large... or sitting in WWII-era vehicles and equipment. As an example of all this, have a look at the two pilots who got up in the air during Pearl Harbor and actually shot down several Japanese planes. They did not look like Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett :)...

Boy Scouts anyone? :) Yeah, WWII guys were often built and looked like kids today.
Oh my goodness, they do look like children!

bigbrother690

Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I meant he looks very effeminate compared to the rough tattooed submarine
kitchen crew depicted in the piece. As for size and nutrition of WW II participants,
a sample from my family: My dad was a very muscular college lacrosse player,
and my cousin, who is still alive at 96, was about 6'3" carried a BAR through
France and Germany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads