• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

401K investments

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on allocating my 401K contributions. I'm 40, single, no kids.

Small company, large caps, mid caps, international or a mix? Small caps usually do well at the beginning of a recovery and large caps do well as the recovery matures (in theory).

Thanks.

boo

Reaction score
Anecdotally, small-cap does best over the long term, but small-cap has already had its run, and I believe that current data shows smaller-cap trading at historically higher valuations compared to large-cap. I'm close to your age, and I'm allocated mostly to small-cap, mid-cap, and a bit of high-yield. When I see the S&P return to 2007 highs, my plan is to de-risk dramatically. I'm a bit of a gambling man, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm assuming your plan has a line-up of target date funds to choose from?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends how much time you really want to think about it.

A low-fee target date fund (you can buy ahead or behind a period if you want to change the risk profile a bit) is a damn good way to "set it and forget it" if you really don't want to spend time researching and rebalancing. You may pay a tiny amount more fees than a group of index funds but everything is basically taken care of and you don't have to think about it.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Anecdotally, small-cap does best over the long term, but small-cap has already had its run, and I believe that current data shows smaller-cap trading at historically higher valuations compared to large-cap. I'm close to your age, and I'm allocated mostly to small-cap, mid-cap, and a bit of high-yield. When I see the S&P return to 2007 highs, my plan is to de-risk dramatically. I'm a bit of a gambling man, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm assuming your plan has a line-up of target date funds to choose from?

Yes my plan has those but I'm currently invested in a small-cap, a mid-cap, a large-cap and an international fund. The target funds in my plan are American Century Livestrong funds. Are target funds good and designed to do what they are supposed to?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a SF member since 2007 and as someone with a significant interest in investments and the financial markets I would urge you to avoid any advise on this forum on this subject. it runs the gambit from brilliant or lucky (selling of the market in 2007 and buying gold) to stupid and reckless (put it all into real estate in 2007).

For every good response there will be one or more horrible ones. Please, ask about ties or the width of your cuffs but not your financial future.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Yes my plan has those but I'm currently invested in a small-cap, a mid-cap, a large-cap and an international fund. The target funds in my plan are American Century Livestrong funds. Are target funds good and designed to do what they are supposed to?

The one thing you need to be aware of on your target date funds is the "glidepath", or how the asset allocation varies over time. They can be designed as "to retirement', meaning that the fund takes an extremely conservative allocation at the target date, or "through retirement", meaning that the fund is designed to continue to try and provide earnings potential through your retirement.

https://www.americancentury.com/funds/livestrong.jsp

Looking at the Livestrong funds, the most conservatively allocated fund is 45% equities at retirement, which classifies it more in the latter. A lot of people in 2008-2009 that were near retirement, or even recently retired, assumed that their target date funds would be more conservatively allocated and would be shielded from market gyrations at the time. They were in for a bit of rude awakening, however, when they saw nearly half their portfolio still in equities, or at least experienced the result of that on their 401k statement. I'm not saying that such an equity allocation isn't appropriate at retirement, but you do need to be aware of it and decide if it's something you're comfortable with.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
A low-fee target date fund (you can buy ahead or behind a period if you want to change the risk profile a bit) is a damn good way to "set it and forget it" if you really don't want to spend time researching and rebalancing. You may pay a tiny amount more fees than a group of index funds but everything is basically taken care of and you don't have to think about it.

^This.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
As a SF member since 2007 and as someone with a significant interest in investments and the financial markets I would urge you to avoid any advise on this forum on this subject. it runs the gambit from brilliant or lucky (selling of the market in 2007 and buying gold) to stupid and reckless (put it all into real estate in 2007).

For every good response there will be one or more horrible ones. Please, ask about ties or the width of your cuffs but not your financial future.

^And This.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
My $.02 is that the high yield market has maybe 12 months left in it, but at this point the downside is a lot more significant than the upside. In fact I just sold my only high yield fund this morning, which had been the only fixed income in my 401k for the last 2 years.

Right now every asset class sucks.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads