• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$400 for a short sleeve button down shirt?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
The price is ultimately for the shirt, not the fabric.
Some of those fabrics look pretty nice though.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care if they're RAF. For that price you could get a handmade shirt with much better fabric. In fact, you could get a made-to-measure handmade shirt with much better fabric.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why buy raf when you can get band of outsiders and bring it to a tailor

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd hit it.

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vashin

So if I bring my J. Crew to a tailor twice, that'll make it pretty much a Raf shirt, right?

kyleNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Believe it or not sw do not mark up clothing as much as everyone else.

I've grown tired of that ******* R on everything, one shirt and two knits are enough for me.

Btw, jil sander has $600 short sleeve shirts and even one for $850 this season iirc.

I'm not sure why people pay so much for clothes. Are these limited edition ? Made of gold ?

I thought I was crazy paying $58 for an OpossumO t-shirt.

$400, $600, $850 ? Do they clean themselves too ?

Kyle

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Why do people pay $80k for a car? Doesn't a $50k, $30k, or $20k car also get them from point A to point B.

Some people enjoy clothing more than just trying to look mediocre. Or maybe it's a hobby, or maybe they like the small details, designs, and other things that they can't find at the gap. You might want to join a different forum,

What the hell is an opossumo tshirt? It sounds ugly as hell with a dragon or tribal motif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
One of the shirts is at Barneys for about $100 less. A store like South Willard in these trying financial times is going to have to mark things up more in order to increase their margins and stay afloat.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
What the hell is an opossumo tshirt? It sounds ugly as hell with a dragon or tribal motif
Don't worry about it. I have a feeling he's setting up a trail of viral marketing for the brand that will ultimately lead to you being 100% correct.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are paying for the brand-name, of course. The buttons might be MOP but look thin, and lack crows-feet stitching. I doubt it's hand-made and the fabric likely isn't anything special either. MTM or bespoke is the way to go here. You could easily get a custom-made shirt of much higher quality for $150 USD.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people pay $80k for a car? Doesn't a $50k, $30k, or $20k car also get them from point A to point B.

Some people enjoy clothing more than just trying to look mediocre. Or maybe it's a hobby, or maybe they like the small details, designs, and other things that they can't find at the gap. You might want to join a different forum,

+1

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig that white plaid.

400 dollars for a shirt is ridiculous though.. if you have the money, eh?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kyleNYC
I'm not sure why people pay so much for clothes. Are these limited edition ? Made of gold ?

I thought I was crazy paying $58 for an OpossumO t-shirt.

$400, $600, $850 ? Do they clean themselves too ?

Kyle

Originally Posted by Vashin

Originally Posted by winston
I don't care if they're RAF. For that price you could get a handmade shirt with much better fabric. In fact, you could get a made-to-measure handmade shirt with much better fabric.

The price of a garment has to do with the fashion industry as a whole, the process, materials, time spent, details, importing, exporting, defecits, and more, not to mention the name (which is certainly more than just whats printed on the label). I think 99% of the time when people come to these conclusions they have an arbitrary idea in their head about what constitutes the price (the fabric, the fit, the name) and forget the rest of it.

At the end of the day fashion is just like anything else in life, you get what you pay for, it's simply more obvious in a car than it is in a watch or a designer garment.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

+1000

One good shirt you'll have forever is cheaper than 5 cheap shirts that you'll get rid of or won't wear a year from now. They barely got there and are already selling. I love the mtm responses too.

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
The price of a garment has to do with the fashion industry as a whole, the process, materials, time spent, details, importing, exporting, defecits, and more, not to mention the name (which is certainly more than just whats printed on the label). I think 99% of the time when people come to these conclusions they have an arbitrary idea in their head about what constitutes the price (the fabric, the fit, the name) and forget the rest of it.
Seriously, for anyone questioning the price, do you realize how expensive it is to throw week-long parties in NYC? Do you know how tiring it is to be constantly hounded by models? Have you seen the price of hookers and blow, nowadays (damn hedge fundies)? Obviously these men lead tough, and despondent lives. If anything, you should be paying more than they ask.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics