1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

40% off a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Worth It?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jzzbn1234, Apr 8, 2013.

1. jzzbn1234

jzzbn1234 New Member

Hi All,

I've been lurking here a while and have concluded that Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece RTW suits are a good quality full canvassed suit, but not a good value.

I have a chance to get one at 40% off--worth it?

If not, what would be a better value. FWIW, I live in Alaska and get to Anchorage (has a Nordstrom's) fairly frequently. O/w, I have a pretty good relationship with the guys in the Seattle Brooks Brothers.

Jzzbn.

2. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

only have some BBGF shirts.
    i think they will tell you it's an acceptable price, but cannot beat ebay
    [​IMG]

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

It's an ok deal at 40% off, but not amazing. Ebay or SF is your best bet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. jzzbn1234

jzzbn1234 New Member

I'm intrigued by the ebay and SF options, I'm around a 48R and I don't see many offerings in that range.

5. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I am a bigger guy as well, and I actually think that it works in your favor. More "normal" sizes seem to get snatched up faster. Check out ebay. I just got a Canali Super 120s Blue Pinstripe suit in 48L for $55 shipped

6. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

I have a solid navy BBGF, my only grip is that the shoulders are pretty padded/constructed. (compared to my other suits and jackets....RLPL, PRL, etc.)

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

It depends on what else you can get and your philosophy about money. IMO, you can get a much better suit at that price, but with that being said, you could do a lot worse than a BBGF at 40% off. At that price, it's at least somewhat reasonable.

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I got an email over the weekend about the Black Fleece sale. There was a nice sport coat for $345 (regularly $1100+). I went to my local BB store for sizing. I really wanted to like it, but I just didn't. The lapels were super skinny, the buttoning point was too high, and the jacket fit like a sack. It may be well-constructed, but the fit sure is strange.

Edit: Just saw that this is Golden Fleece not Black Fleece.

9. othertravel

The Fitz has pretty strong shoulders, but the Regent or Milano are softer. They also have side vents vs. the fitz' single vent.

10. jzzbn1234

jzzbn1234 New Member

Right--that makes sense. I mentioned Nordstroms to hopefully get comments on their offerings. I know they carry Hickey Freeman, but I thought I had read HF's BBGF equivalent has much less hand tailoring than it used to and so I'm wondering if the Hickey Freeman's are still a good alternative.

What else is worth looking at at that price-point/quality-level?

11. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

40% off is a substantial discount. Comparing it to used suits on eBay is apples & oranges. You'll be hard pressed to find a store you can walk into and try things on that will beat that.

12. davemax

davemax Member

i thought of it too.. it would be about $1200 then for a golden fleece.
    I went with regent 1818, i know it's half canvas, but retailed at $998.00, with the 40% , it was $598.00 including alterations. Looks good.

13. othertravel

Golden Fleece suiting is nice if the fit works for you. Right now they only offer it in the Fitz and Madison. Looking forward to Milano Golden Fleece.