• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4 Nights in New York in June (yes another thread)

thebunk

Reaction score
I know, another what to do/where to stay in New York thread. My apologies but the search kind of sucks and while I have found some threads with some good ideas, I would appreciate some help specifically regarding where to stay based on where we want to eat and shop which is the primary purpose.

What do we want to do?

Shop:
- Epaulet, Epaulet, Epaulet
- Century 21
- Gant
- Uniqlo
- Leffot
- Alden
- A good record shop or two

Eat:
- Momofuku restaurants Noodle Bar and Milk Bar
- Eatily
- Babbo
- Katz Deli
- Open to Suggestions: looking for good non touristy spots with great food of all types.
- eat a good hotdog and slice of pizza

Things to see or do:
- Brooklyn
- Chinatown
- LES
- Brooklyn and walk the Brooklyn Bridge
- Maybe see a show (Jersey Boys or Book of Mormons)
- Central Park
- Time Square (just to walk through for 5 mins or so, do not need to spend much time there)

Based on this, we are not sure where to stay. We want to spend as little as possible on a room however we do want our own private bath. As long as it is near subway station, clean and on Manhattan, we are game (though we may be open to staying in Brooklyn). Budget s around $200 to $250 a night (want to spend more on shopping and eats).

Thoughts?

Hannerhan

Reaction score
I like The Warwick in the $250 range for hotels. They can usually be talked into an upgrade from the base room (just complain that the room smells like smoke if you get stuck in a standard version, and they will move you to a Premier. And you won't be lying.), and the location is really hard to beat at 54th and 6th.

Try Keste' for pizza. I ate there twice in two days a few months back and I think it's the best pizza I've ever eaten. It's on Bleeker and there is good shopping up the street (Brunello Cucinelli among other shops).

thebunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, appreciate it. Will look into the Warwick (and Keste's)

SD1

Reaction score
I stayed at the World Center Hotel, back in the fall, for around $180 a night. It overlooks Ground Zero and is convenient to a number of subway lines. The rooms are nice, private bath, and super clean...cause it's new.

Plus you're walking distance from Century 21.

www.worldcenterhotel.com/

SD1

Reaction score
Also, here's a very cool site that goes street by street, and outlines some of the more unique buildings, locations, and attractions you'd usually just walk by without giving a second look.

http://www.nysonglines.com/

Part of what IMO makes a great NYC trip is leave a day, or two, open to walk around and get lost.

ettebe

Reaction score
Best place to stay in Manhattan hands down: http://www.vrbo.com/231591 It is $150/nt in L.E.S / Chinatown (close to a metro). The girl that rents it out is really chill. Only problem the place is booked constantly.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you walk over the bridge into Bklyn, head to Court Street and eat at Sam's. BEST brick oven pizza in Brooklyn. Very good Italian food and they make a great steak. Louis pours the drinks STRONG:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sams-restaurant-brooklyn

Quixote

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't have any good hotel suggestions, but go to the High Line, definitely worth it. It is really beautiful up there, especially if you go at night. I don't know if there is anything you would want to do in the Chelsea/Meatpacking District area, but the High Line would put you within range of Keste'.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last July I stayed at the Grand Hyatt that is right on top of Grand Central Stn for like $150 a night. They were remodeling or something, so prices were down lower than they might normally be I guess, but I got it off Expedia so you could check and see what it's like now. The room was pretty nice and newly remodeled, bathroom was nice - wasn't a large room but had plenty of space for stowing luggage and shopping buys (though I didn't do any shopping)... Location means you stay in midtown but catching a cab and going downtown was supremely easy and cheap. There's also a Duane Reade next door if you need to buy anything one might need during a trip. I recommend it if you want something pretty hassle-free.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Hey gents, this is a bit of a cross post from another thread and found this thread to be more appropriate for this post, here goes...

I'm going to NY in May for about a week and just found out I could get a pretty sweet deal at some trendy new-ish hotel in Brooklyn called the Hotel Williamsburg. Have any of you guys been there? Is the area cool? Is it accessible to all of the good stuff BK has to offer? Is it a smooth transition back and forth to Manhattan?

In case any nights get a little too late in Manhattan and I need to get myself and the wife back in a safe manner I am assuming a taxi drive to Williamsburg is not that far fetched either?

I was advised to hit up Drams, Post Office, The Shanty, Noorman's Kil and Henry Public for drinks... Brooklyn Fare, Isa, Roberta's, St. Anselm, Luger for good dinner... and Egg, Rabbithole, and La Barricou for brunch, not sure if any of those sit well with you locals.

Let me know what you guys think?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey gents, this is a bit of a cross post from another thread and found this thread to be more appropriate for this post, here goes...
I'm going to NY in May for about a week and just found out I could get a pretty sweet deal at some trendy new-ish hotel in Brooklyn called the Hotel Williamsburg. Have any of you guys been there? Is the area cool? Is it accessible to all of the good stuff BK has to offer? Is it a smooth transition back and forth to Manhattan?
In case any nights get a little too late in Manhattan and I need to get myself and the wife back in a safe manner I am assuming a taxi drive to Williamsburg is not that far fetched either?
I was advised to hit up Drams, Post Office, The Shanty, Noorman's Kil and Henry Public for drinks... Brooklyn Fare, Isa, Roberta's, St. Anselm, Luger for good dinner... and Egg, Rabbithole, and La Barricou for brunch, not sure if any of those sit well with you locals.
Let me know what you guys think?

make your reservation to luger and bk fare asap.....

DannyJman

Reaction score
Excellent suggestions - i wished i took some of these or even asked before i left for New York - Without a plan you seriously have problems seeing everything.. I never went with a plan and missed quite a bit..But you got majority of what needs to be deal and the comments are worth the trouble.

ThomSquared

Reaction score

WOW... My friend just told me not only that Brooklyn Fare is roughly $275 per person, is no longer BYOB, and takes a FULL non-refundable pre-payment of your dinner seven days before your reservation.

Ummm, yeeeeaaaah... **** THAT.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1000. Last time I had the steak AND lamb at Peter Lugers.... Needless to say, I was a happy camper :devil::tounge:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

WOW... My friend just told me not only that Brooklyn Fare is roughly $275 per person, is no longer BYOB, and takes a FULL non-refundable pre-payment of your dinner seven days before your reservation.
Ummm, yeeeeaaaah... **** THAT.

yep..i live appr 3 blocks from Bk Fare.....VERY pricey and you never know what they are serving until you get there....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads