• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4 in Hand on Spread collars?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jferg4350
You're 38?
eh.gif

Well to be honest I'm 38 and a Half!
laugh.gif

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
laugh.gif

Would have guessed much, much younger judging by the pictures you post.

I guess I should start to moisturize at my age.
laugh.gif

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always used to do half-windsor with my spread collars, which are probably 99% of my shirts, but that knot really has no character. I like the look of the asymetrical 4IH. You just have to tie it think enough to hide the ribbons, I'm usally able to do this, even on my Black Label shirt which has a really small collar.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cut-aways are fine with 4IH knots as long as the tie material is thicker.

Here's what I usually do:

tailor_changes-1.jpg

riverrun

Reaction score
The premise that a spread collar needs a large knot is totally off base. As is the idea that there's anything stylish about an over-sized knot.

cheez80

Reaction score
i actually prefer a 4IH in a spread collar... i think half windsors and whatnot are too fussy, but that's just me.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
laugh.gif

I thought this was a typo and you'd meant to say 28.

Holy.

Confucius

Reaction score
F*** me I thought Pandarts was in his 20s

IMHO I've always loved the assymetrical, longer style knot with wider collars (spread to full cutaway). As long as the knot still retains some degree of significance, like how Benjamin and Pandarts have displayed.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
I think cut-aways are fine with 4IH knots as long as the tie material is thicker.

Here's what I usually do:

tailor_changes-1.jpg

That is the effect I want to hide! Even that you look pretty good. The ribbons are shown! You have a big knot so it´s not so evident.

But that was the pictue I wanted to show.

Thanks

Any clue?

awxg

Reaction score
I thought the whole point of a spread collar was to accomodate for a larger tie knot. The St. Andrew knot is a slightly larger FIH. Might want to try that instead of a regular FIH.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
even I know you aren't supposed to 4IH a cutaway. EVEN ME

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The reason I like the spread collar in the first place is the extra sense of depth created by the open space. When you fill it up with a big knot, the effect is gone. So, for me, four-in-hand is the only sensible choice.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a 4IH knot with my thicker ties and a half windsor with the thinner material ones. I think they look great on most collars, including spread and cutaways. It's also nice to be a little different and have a well made knot in the sea of sloppy/loose 4IH and MASSIVE Windsors.

ScruffyLimey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
I thought the whole point of a spread collar was to accomodate for a larger tie knot. The St. Andrew knot is a slightly larger FIH. Might want to try that instead of a regular FIH.

I like asymmetric knots with spread & semi-spread collars. Depending on the thickness of the tie, in ascending order of size I will try a Kelvin, St Andrew or even a Cavendish knot to get the right sort of balance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads