• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

4 in Hand on Spread collars?

Azure

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Hi

I got several spread 180 degrees collar shirts, but I find ugly a 4iH on them. The side ribbons are show under the front collar base and that looks very unprofessional to me.

Or Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
I'd do something wider, like a Shelby/Pratt.
 

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
4,509
Reaction score
720
It sounds more like you have a cut-away collar than a spread...but either case a 4iH is not going to make a large enough knot to fill the space...try a half or full windsor.
 

Azure

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by grimslade
I'd do something wider, like a Shelby/Pratt.

I´ll try but the problem are the ribbons on sight... How do you do?

Originally Posted by PandArts
It sounds more like you have a cut-away collar than a spread...but either case a 4iH is not going to make a large enough knot to fill the space...try a half or full windsor.

I got a picture from the forum with that collar. I don´t like any windsor, I´m 30 years old. 1.90 tall and 74 kilos, too skiny for that.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by Azure
I don´t like any windsor, I´m 30 years old. 1.90 tall and 74 kilos, too skiny for that.
Stop buying shirts with collars like that then.
 

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
4,509
Reaction score
720
Originally Posted by Azure
I´ll try but the problem are the ribbons on sight... How do you do?



I got a picture from the forum with that collar. I don´t like any windsor, I´m 30 years old. 1.90 tall and 74 kilos, too skiny for that.



I understand your point. I'm 38, 5 feet 8 inches tall and 130 pounds...fairly skinny lad myself...I almost exclusively use a half windsor because it can fill a spead but still have that 4iH look and feel.
 

Azure

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by PandArts
I understand your point. I'm 38, 5 feet 8 inches tall and 130 pounds...fairly skinny lad myself...I almost exclusively use a half windsor because it can fill a spead but still have that 4iH look and feel.

I got the 85 ways of tie a tie book here.. but I find the half windsor not able for me,

can you link a picture of the H windsor looking as a 4HI?, perhaps I´ change my view...
 

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
4,509
Reaction score
720
Originally Posted by Azure
I got the 85 ways of tie a tie book here.. but I find the half windsor not able for me,

can you link a picture of the H windsor looking as a 4HI?, perhaps I´ change my view...


Well it will also depend heavily on the thinkness of your tie but here is two versions of the same half windsor I tie:

 

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
6,552
Reaction score
113
^^ +1

A cutaway collar is the one collar type that practically requires a windsor. If you don't like it, then ditch the cutaway.
 

Azure

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by PandArts
Well it will also depend heavily on the thinkness of your tie but here is two versions of the same half windsor I tie:





Ey , you like the same curved collar that I love most, also the kind of ties!

I got a Versace quite similar to the first one. I also got a Pal Zileri shirt similar to the second one

Nice look man! I love it, I´ll try to imitate it. Could you tell me the sequence to to that knot? I called it double FIH or even Victoria, as on a Half Windsor the tie doesn´t hang more to a side as on a FiH.

Thanks for the info, perhaps I still can use my shirts with ties..
 

Jferg4350

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by PandArts
I understand your point. I'm 38, 5 feet 8 inches tall and 130 pounds...fairly skinny lad myself...I almost exclusively use a half windsor because it can fill a spead but still have that 4iH look and feel.

You're 38?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 116 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 67 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,561
Messages
9,220,423
Members
193,559
Latest member
jamalopu1
Top