• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4 day summer vacation--where to?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're planning a short vacation for the summer--probably late July. Any thoughts on where we should go?

Currently on our list are Chicago, Toronto, and Pittsburg. We've never been to any of these cities for more than a layover in the airport.

Arguments for or against any of them? We'd have to fly to any of them so that is already a bit of money, and Chicago clearly has the most expensive hotels. Anything else I'm missing? Pittsburg seems the least likely for a vacation--but maybe there's something I don't know.

Any thoughts within the same distance?

bob

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago. Check web to see when"Taste of Chicago" is going on. Sample some of what the city has to offer. I stayed away from downtown and just trained in. It reduced my hotel rate. If you do decide on Chicago, don't miss the Art Institute. Its a fun town and the people are approachable. Great architectural heritage. I've aso been to Pittsburgh...nice, but not vacation, at least not from the areas I was introduced to.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
We're planning a short vacation for the summer--probably late July. Any thoughts on where we should go?

Currently on our list are Chicago, Toronto, and Pittsburg. We've never been to any of these cities for more than a layover in the airport.

Arguments for or against any of them? We'd have to fly to any of them so that is already a bit of money, and Chicago clearly has the most expensive hotels. Anything else I'm missing? Pittsburg seems the least likely for a vacation--but maybe there's something I don't know.

Any thoughts within the same distance?

bob

The only place I consider for such a vacation is the Dominican Republic. YOu can get an all-inclusive package at a great resort in Punta Cana or Bavaro for about $750-$800 a piece. I think there are flights to Punta Cana from all over the U.S. east coast. Trust me, you will have an amazing time if you are up for a bit of an adventure. It is 4 days of eating, drinking to excess and enjoying the hell out of one's self.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've never spent any time in Toronto - it looks interesting, but I don't know enough to make that suggestion.

I'd go with Chicago - great museums, shopping, restaurants, sports, scenery, etc.

If you're worried about hotel rates, do as designprofessor suggested and stay a little out of town and take the train in - great public transportation in Chicagoland.

Pittsburgh is ok, but not really my idea of a place to vacation.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
The only place I consider for such a vacation is the Dominican Republic. YOu can get an all-inclusive package at a great resort in Punta Cana or Bavaro for about $750-$800 a piece. I think there are flights to Punta Cana from all over the U.S. east coast. Trust me, you will have an amazing time if you are up for a bit of an adventure. It is 4 days of eating, drinking to excess and enjoying the hell out of one's self.
that sounds like fun. anybody have recommendations for pacific-side trips of this nature? (resort-like, not spring-break-like.)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chicago may be my favorite city in the US and Pittsburgh is probably my least favorite. My only sorry would be the weather in Chicago that time of year. Hot and sticky.

Toronto is really a great city as well.

I would look at the average temperatures in Chicago and Toronto and choose the better of the two.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
come to chicago, we can have dinner.

chicago has good food, great museums, great music

toronto is pretty cool - a very nice funky down town, a great collection of modern art, great ethnic foods, an amusment park. some good clubs

pittsburg, although unlikly, has the falling water house, and, wehn there is music playing, it is good value for the money.

Hanseat

Reaction score
I've been both to Toronto and Pittsburg, never to Chicago.

Of the two: go to Toronto, have a drink in one of the bars on the lake, go sailing a bit if you can, enjoy the great ethinc food and the general vibe of the city.
Plus there's no cooler feeling than standing on the glass floor on the CN Tower and jumping up and down while your're looking a few hundred meters down. Some people will look at you but that's worth it.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
two words:

Branson, Missouri.

butbut.gif

Histrion

Reaction score
If you're considering going out of the USA, then I guess MontrÃ
00a9.png
al could be a good idea.

You can find very good restaurants, there's a few interesting museums, a rather good shopping scene (Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, L'Uomo MontrÃ
00a9.png
al are probably the kind of places you'd like, and perhaps your missus would enjoy Ogilvy, if only for window-licking). The city can be very romantic and there's a always some festival going on in the summer. Don't worry about language barriers either, MontrÃ
00a9.png
al is a bilingual city.

Oh, and there is a pretty good nightlife if that is of any interest to you.

I'm hearing that Vancouver is a place to check out also! Oh, and if you're looking for something more European, there is QuÃ
00a9.png
bec City (where I study, actually) which can be really nice if that's for like 4 days. With more days than that then perhaps you would have seen it all but in four days that's a perfect destination, I guess. Old QuÃ
00a9.png
bec looks very French, tons of good restaurants and I can perhaps help you not to fall into too much tourists trap.

If you're staying in the USA, out of the cities you've listed, I'd go with Chicago.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah I was gonna say Montreal as well. Its like leaving North America without - uh - leaving North America.

Chicago rocks. Really cool town. I was travelling as a student on an Amtrak pass, and because Chicago is so central, and because I had a family friend there offering free accomodation, I passed through a few times. I went there the first time, thought 'nothing special', second time 'this town is sorta cool' and after that, 'this town rocks'.

Toronto is nice enough - i found it a little sterile and boring - kinda like a white-people-Singapore - but ok.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Toronto is nice enough - i found it a little sterile and boring - kinda like a white-people-Singapore - but ok.

I hear that this is going to be their new municipal slogan "toronto - kinda like a white people Singapore"

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montreal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads