1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

4 buttons or 3 buttons for blazer cuffs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silver19, Sep 30, 2006.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Three on a 2B is probably the safest choice (slightly more casual), but four wouldn't be wrong either.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

My old ratty RTW 3B SB no-vented one has 3 sleeve buttons. I have two custom-tailored 3B SB double-vented navy blazers -- one has 3 sleeve buttons, the other has 4.

3. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

If we are talking about metal buttons, I would want no more than three. Better if they do not touch (I don't like the noise).

4. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

or go with 4 buttons and unbutton 1 or 2 depending on your mood [​IMG]

+1

5. robert in LA

robert in LA Well-Known Member

Well, that's one theory...

Interesting that Wikipedia doesn't support the HMS Blazer story. Here is their remark:

The term blazer originated with the red 'blazers' of the Lady Margaret Boat Club, the rowing club of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Lady Margaret jackets were termed blazers due to their bright red 'blazing' colour, and the term was adopted for wider use later. These early blazers were like later sports jackets, but this term has never referred to blazers, instead describing jackets derived from the later innovation of wearing odd jackets for land-based sports. Assertions that the name is derived from HMS Blazer are not borne out by contemporary sources, although it is reported that before the standardisation of uniform in the Royal Navy, the crew of HMS Blazer wore "striped blue and white jackets",[2] apparently in response to the sailors of HMS Harlequin being turned out in harlequin suits.[3]

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I think two sleeve buttons are supposed to be classic and traditional for an odd jacket. I still prefer four for both suits and odd jackets.