• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4:30 PM Wedding: Morning Coat or DJ?

Doc Martin

Reaction score
OK, I am officially freaking out now... with less than 30 days until the BIG day!

I think I should have asked this question before troubling several outstanding members here with my previous question about DJ shirts/accessories.

So, what is the PROPER (not just ACCEPTED) attire for a 4:30 PM outside wedding in the end of May?

I have a feeling that it is the Morning Coat, but the reception will be carrying on until 11 PM! I don't have enough money to change from one to the other after 6 PM.

The really crappy part is that we'll be taking our pictures before the wedding, which will make us look even more foolish in our DJ's! And the only pictures that will be taken when we are in proper attire will be non-professional.

What to do???
confused.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
A friend of mine was in a similar situation serving for the nouveau riche at a party that started at 4 or 5 PM. I can't remember exactly. I think he ended up going with the dinner jacket, but if he were here he could offer some advice. (Hint, hint, Leo, if you're lurking here already.)

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about wear a stroller instead?

I realize it's less formal, but stylistically, it's a happy medium of sorts.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since this is an even that begins close to evening, continues through dinner, and ends way past dark, go with the dinner jacket.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You probably don't want to hear this, but I would either (a) reschedule the wedding to avoid ambiguity--- the British solution of a morning ceremony followed by lunch has its appeal-- or (b) if this is not possible, punt on formal wear entirely and go with the most splendid dark lounge suit you have. For me, a navy blue or oxford grey DB. It will be dignified at the service, elegant at the party, and will photograph well. If you're outdoors and the weather is good, a seriously nice blazer might also work, but that would probably be stretching it in this case.

This is my hobbyhorse, but I fail to see the point of dressing a lot better than your guests. Don't get so stressed out. Do the right thing, not the "perfect" thing.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the "rule" is that the starting time dictates the dress, not the finishing time, so you could still wear a monring coat. If that is the case, I'd go with the morning coat since it looks so much more distinguished than a dinner jacket, in my opinion. Waiters and bartenders at restaurants (and weddings) wear dinner jackets, but no one gets to wear a morning coat except grooms and royalty. I got married at 4:30 also and wore a morning coat and it looked great. Admittedly my wedding didn't go past 9, but it was long dark by then and no one was urging me to change clothes.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
OK... Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen. I think that I just freaked out a little bit.
smile.gif

I seriously considered a wardrobe change and a time change for the wedding itself. There are many better or "right" ways to go about this wedding business, but I'm just going to be happy with what I already have going.

The only thing that makes me cringe is having my potential great great grandchildren laugh at me for wearing a DJ in the day time. Besides, I've seen quite a few fashion faux paux in the golden era of formal wear.

Check this site out for some great pics:

http://lafayette.150m.com/thumbsweddings.html

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
OK... Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen. I think that I just freaked out a little bit.
smile.gif

I seriously considered a wardrobe change and a time change for the wedding itself. There are many better or "right" ways to go about this wedding business, but I'm just going to be happy with what I already have going.

The only thing that makes me cringe is having my potential great great grandchildren laugh at me for wearing a DJ in the day time. Besides, I've seen quite a few fashion faux paux in the golden era of formal wear.

Dude, the number-one rule of weddings:

RELAX

Nothing spoils the fun for guest and wedding party alike faster than brides (and grooms) who freak out over the small stuff. And yes, this is the small stuff. This is honestly why I hate most weddings.

EDIT: That's not to say I'd hate your wedding!

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I sound ignorant here, but why not just a regular tux? You will be able to rewear that to any formal event for years to come, assuming you don't get really fat, lol.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am with Concordia. If you expect everybody at the wedding to be in black tie, you should wear black tie. If everybody else will be in a suit and tie, so should you be. There is no reason to look different than everybody else. That always comes off as odd to me.

FWIW, my wedding started at 8:00pm and everybody wore black tie.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 PM is technically the earliest eveningwear should appear.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
6 PM is technically the earliest eveningwear should appear.

And do you change your brown shoes sharply at six? These "rules" aren't reallly rules, they're guidelines.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attended a wedding in similar circumstances. The groom wore a morning coat and black trousers. He doffed the coat upon reaching the reception, and dined in his vest, and still looked dressed. Besides, it was his wedding and noone was going to complain.

The guests wore lounge suits.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
And do you change your brown shoes sharply at six? These "rules" aren't reallly rules, they're guidelines.

No. But DGP was wondering why anyone would actually care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads