1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

3DM Lifestyle: $150 Leather Shoes (A Cheaper Meermin?)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by An Acute Style, Jun 20, 2017.

1. dluce76

dluce76 Senior Member

I've never owned either type so sorry can't be of help. My impression is that Chelseas are the easiest to slip on and off. I can't tell from the web pics but they might be on different lasts - maybe shoot them an email to confirm.

2. Mercurio

Mercurio Senior Member

I checked the 3DM web page where they say their construction is Blake stitched, not Rapid Blake which is a far different type, although confused many times: "Our shoes feature Blake-Stitched construction for longevity and comfort. It also allows for increased flexibility and a sleek silhouette". Sorry if this disappoints you, but I wouldn't compare Blake with GYW.

There is a quite interesting thread on Shoe Construction, that is worth to have a look:
    https://www.styleforum.net/threads/shoe-construction-behind-the-veil.191166/

From the same thread, some very interesting shoe cuts that show differences in shoe construction:

3. dluce76

dluce76 Senior Member

Hmm yes disappointing.
    I wasn't aware of the difference between the two so that is my bad. Appeciate the education.
    Still worth it IMHO when they are on sale.

4. Mercurio

Mercurio Senior Member

Yes, I agree with that: they have some nice models, others not my cup of tea... ;)

May I suggest the Outlet Cortina eBay website? Worth to have a look for discounted prices in Martegani and other brands that they manufacture as a shoe factory, most of them are Rapid Blake. You can check what they have by size:

http://www.ebaystores.it/Outlet-Cortina1955

5. stylish_raven

stylish_raven Senior Member

blake construction shoes are the ones that have the leather/suede sewn directly to the sole, whilst the goodyear welted hast a double stitched method.
    The goodyear welted shoes are stiffer at first however they get comfyer with use. Blake is more flexible but somewhat less durable.

6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

I’ve had loads of Chelseas down the years and currently own ...

Cheap black calf Aldo
    Snuff suede Meermin
    Red burgundy calf Carmina
    Dark burgundy horse Epaulet

I was always intrigued by jodhpur boots after seeing a picture of them decades ago. Didn’t even know what they were called (Cavalry boots?) for a long time. Anyway got some in chestnut calf from Tricker’s several years ago and they are a decent boot but unless you’re sitting cross legged nobody can see the elaborate straps so they have the same look as Chelseas under your strides.

One advantage is that you don’t have to worry about the possible unsightly stretching of the elastic gores. Buckling the straps is a bit more fiddly than pulling on chelseas. It all boils down to preference but my jodhpurs get the least wear of all so make of that what you will.

7. Button hole

Button hole Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. But I am going with the jodhpurs. I will definitely report back when I get them.

8. Art Fern

Art Fern Active Member

I would dive in for $80-$120, sight unseen if I thought the sizing is correct. As it is they have a table of U.K./US/EU sizing. I would take a U.K. 10 because my US size is 11.5, BUT the chart has 11-11.5 both as the same size, but 11’s most often are too tight, 11.5 perfect. I was concerned with the leather thickness, thin leather can stretch out of shape and wrinkle badly like cheap leather furniture. The shoe ads call the leather Argentinian odd for shoes from India with almost zero chance India would buy leather from Argentina, when India has seemingly zillions of mom and pop tanneries. Yes, of course they are located on river banks so they can use river water then dispose of the dirty, heavy mineral laden water back into the river. India is a filthy place.