• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

38R vs 38S

beargunkarate

Reaction score
hi all,

i'm new to this forum and would appreciate any advice regarding my dilemma. i'm buying a tuxedo for my wedding and am torn as to whether to go for a 38R or 38S. i'm 6' tall and slim. unfortunately, the tuxedo i'm likely going to buy is not available at any stores near my house, so i can't just go try it on. i know that the easy, immediate response to my issue is "you're 6 feet tall. obviously don't get a short jacket"... but i like the "thom browne" look (though i want to go a bit less extreme for my wedding) and am thinking that going with a 38s vs. a 38r will be a happy medium.

thoughts??

thanks!

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thought-

You are buying evening wear, the one suit you will likely never need to replace. The only way you can screw that up? Buying a short. If you buy a regular (and buy well), your black tie needs are filled. Buy a short and in five years, when most people will have passed over the shrunken look, everyone will ask if your tux was left over from your first prom.

nhannon

Reaction score
Agree with the above. But it also depends on how much of your 6' is legs vs. upper body. 38R seems like a safe bet though. I'm not sure your wedding is the best setting to try to be trendy.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're sure you like the very short look & you're fully aware that it can cause negative reactions from style-conservatives, then you should go for the short. If you're slightly unsure in any way, then the R is likely to serve you best over time.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
I'm 5' 6" & thin yet was fitted to a 38S by a J Press salesman in my pre-SF days (haven't been measured since). Salesman was shocked that the sleeve length was almost perfect - off only by .25" on one sleeve, according to him. So I can't imagine a 38S fitting you. Unless, of course, you want your jacket to be too short.

NiFTY

Reaction score
i am almost 6 foot, 5' 11 and change, and i bought a 38S RLPL tux and let the sleeves out a little and it fits perfect, although i don't go "thom browne" i also like the shorter jacket length. I always get positive comments - i think theres a big difference between thom browning and simply having a jacket a little shorter than convention

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a regular. If you want to go short, get the sleeves shortened. Once you're older and realize that it is a ridiculous look, let out the sleeves and thank me.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short would be way too short for a 6' guy.

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
Get the regular.

Patek14

Reaction score
I'm only about 5'8-5'9ish and a 38S is too short on me. You'd have to have a really unusual body type to fit into a 38s at 6 foot

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC the rule of thumb is that if you are less than 5'9"-ish you should get S and if you are over 5'9" (or was it 5'10") you should get R, if you are over 6'2" you should get L.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
clothing industry standards used by the designers is this.
height 5'4" = short
height 5' 8"= regular
height 6' 0" = long

beargunkarate

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the input. i'm very likely (95%) going with the regular, as all the posts make sense. i'm curious though, if I could order the short and let out the sleeves (is that always an option), is the 1" shorter jacket length really THAT much of a difference?? thanks again. i appreciate the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads