• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

38R vs 38S

tgt465

Reaction score
For most jackets there is only enough material to let out sleeves only an inch or two. The body length difference is not that much (so why are you insisting on S?), but can be noticeable depending on your body proportions.

Get the R.

beargunkarate

Reaction score
i wasnt aware that i was insisting on anything. rather, as one not particularly well versed in suiting, i had a few questions and greatly appreciate everyone's responses with regard to it.

beargunkarate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NiFTY
i am almost 6 foot, 5' 11 and change, and i bought a 38S RLPL tux and let the sleeves out a little and it fits perfect, although i don't go "thom browne" i also like the shorter jacket length. I always get positive comments - i think theres a big difference between thom browning and simply having a jacket a little shorter than convention

also, this is kinda what i was thinking. i'm certainly not gonna go for the super-short thom browne look at my wedding. my idea was that i could let out the sleeves of a 38S, and the slightly shorter jacket length would provide a bit more of a modern style.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could go to a store, take pictures of you wearing a 38R and a 38S, and post pictures here. That will help people provide an answer that's much more grounded in facts rather than speculation in the length of your torso.

tgt465

Reaction score
Apologies, I phrased my reply poorly. My point is just that you're taking risk in having the sleeves be irreparably too short (which most people will notice if you have 2 inches of cuff showing), in order to get a jacket one inch shorter (which likely nobody would recognize except maybe 1% of the population who actually care about such details). Unless you can try it on and see for yourself, the gamble is far too high for my taste.

mlongano

Reaction score
Well, it's your wedding...not to sound disrespectful of your choice, but do you want to look like a boy or a man?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics