• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

38L - the DEFINITIVE thread

givemefive

Reaction score
So I'm currently shopping for a 38L 2button suit in a charcoalish colorway. Budget is $400-500 on sale. Purpose of suit is for internship interviews in the summer and professional interviews when I graduate in 1-2 years. Plus the random wedding or whatever.

I'm 6 2 155, 36" Chest, the shoulders on my shirts measure 18"

Best fit I found was a 40L Hugo Boss. The shoulder were a bit wide, the back needed quite a bit taken out, the sleeves had rivets that perhaps could be pressed out as well as some torquing, the front drape was pretty awful but for $769 retail fused canvas what do you expect...

Went to Northpark in Dallas today.

Found:

Nordstroms's had a slimmer Hugo Boss in 40L.

Neiman Marcus: Nothing at any price range

Barney's: Nothing at any price range... well a longer 38r for $2200 that was short

Hugo Boss Store: had one gross fabric in 40L and could order a couple others in

Jcrew: Had the navy colorway of the 3button Ludlow no longs. The 38R was pulling the back vent and the front a bit - Seemed too small. The 40R seemed a touch too big but no longs so didn't spend much time.

Then at stores outside the mall:

Jos. A Bank - what a joke
Off 5th- no Longs in 38 or 40
Nordstrom Rack - no longs in anything decent 38 or 40

Tomorrow:
Saks
Zara
Men's Wearhouse (so help me god)

I may just have to keep my eyes out for the next couple months. It's a pretty bad plight.

matt22616

Reaction score
So...****. Shouldn't have lost weight. Any more leads?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
public service announcement: BN Ermenegildo Zegna 38L navy suit available for very good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-500-NWT-Ermene...ht_8161wt_1200

I've bought from this seller before and have been extremely pleased

Ventless? 25" sleeves?" Something about that suit screams 90's to me, a good price though.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjm
I don't have any to contribute really. But as a 6'2" 170 lb dude, I feel compelled to show my support.

I'm 6'2" and 180 and wear a 42L.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
Gilt had a 38L Ermenegildo Zegna navy blazer today, priced around $380.

This is the second time they've done this Zegna blazer sale in the past few months, so it'll probably come around again.

This is such a great deal. I wish Gilt would post measurements though!

Cal Bear

Reaction score
I am 6'2" and 175lbs. I am having trouble with determining the proper length of jackets. How long in inches from bottom of collar to end should I be looking at? How much of my a$$ is it supposed to cover, down to where the crouch meets the pant leg or to the crease of the butt? The test I tried was the thing where the suit is supposed to end at the first joint of your thumb knuckle when your hands are relaxed at your side. The jacket was about an inch shorter than that.

I ask because I am fairly new to suit wearing so I have been taking the advice of the salesman (which seems like a bad idea). With no 39L or 40L I recently purchased a 40R after the salesman said the length was good. Is it out of the question for someone 6'2" to wear R length suits. I still have the option to exchange the suit for a longer length.

Cal Bear

Reaction score
great that puts me at ease. I definitely need to exchange that suit for one with a proper fit. What I really need is a 38L or 39 L. My chest measurement is between 38 and 39. Normally 38 but I have put on a small amount some winter flab. The problem is I have very broad shoulders so 38L and 39L are always too snug on the shoulder or maybe I am not sure how snug the shoulder should fit. When I buy 40L and get it tailored in at the sides I always end up with bunching of looser fabric under the arm hole.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cal Bear
When I buy 40L and get it tailored in at the sides I always end up with bunching of looser fabric under the arm hole.

Been there many times.
Don't settle, you're a 38/39L.

Cal Bear

Reaction score
Now the suit finding mission begins. Darn you fat america and your fat american style.

Now I have this 40 suit from Banana Republic that is to big and short. They don't make 38 or 39L and I cant find my receipt for a refund.

mtmindc

Reaction score
Found on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Canali-Dark-Grey...item19b7942bb1 p2p: 21" shoulder-to-sleeve: 27.5"
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads