• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

38L - the DEFINITIVE thread

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deathsnapper
It 38L it might be worth considering hitting the gym intensely for a while

The problem is that it's very difficult for most skinny guys (like myself) to gain weight. We're not 38Ls because we diet
smile.gif

Deathsnapper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
The problem is that it's very difficult for most skinny guys (like myself) to gain weight. We're not 38Ls because we diet
smile.gif

I know, I have it the same way. A leg injury for a year (minimal activity) and constantly eating stuff that people really shouldn't be eating was only able to bring me up to ~8% BF. To be honest I've often actually wished for a slightly weaker metabolism, but I'm now glad I have what I do.

But for most it's still possible if you do some research on the subject and eat correctly to gain some muscle weight. 3 months after I joined a gym I was able to gain 20lbs, which was fairly substantial for me as I was a mere 115lbs beforehand (very skinny, small shoulders/bones etc. with almost no fat at all).

That said I did have to spend quite a few hours at the gym. I went 4-5times weekly. Also had to always make sure I was supplying myself with more than enough protein and carbs every day. It took some time at first, but once you put the weight on it's pretty easy to sustain a lot of it.

Of course it's not going to work for everyone. Some people won't be able to put on the weight even if they live in the gym. But I'm sure there are also people with a bit of extra time on their hands (an hour or so daily) who haven't given it a try; for these people I think it's probably worth it. I mean you'll get a better physique out of it and a larger potential wardrobe!
tounge.gif

Of course being a 38L is pretty excellent in itself. I'm sure there are also some who would never intentionally change this even if it did promise more clothing options.

Marbles29

Reaction score
I'm generally a 38L - I'm broad enough to go with a 40L, but I prefer a trimmer fit around the chest and waist. I find that one is bound to have more success at cheaper stores. A few months ago I purchased a Navy Pinstripe Tommy Hilfiger suit from Macy's in a 38L..They had every conceivable size in that particular suit.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo Boss always has a bunch of 36Ls and 38Ls at outlet malls.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cabazon and Ontario Mills outlets in California always have strange sizes. They often have a half dozen 36L and 38L suits, blazers, and jackets. They start out at half SRP and then they almost always have a discount going either 30, 40, or 50 off of the last marked price.

Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
Really? Hugo Boss outlets? details, plz

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
The Cabazon and Ontario Mills outlets in California always have strange sizes. They often have a half dozen 36L and 38L suits, blazers, and jackets. They start out at half SRP and then they almost always have a discount going either 30, 40, or 50 off of the last marked price.

wow, great to know-- thanks for the information.

Onizuka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Hugo Boss always has a bunch of 36Ls and 38Ls at outlet malls.

I found 3 38L hugo suits at Premium Outlets in WA. However it was a model I never heard of before (Angelico/Parma) for $360. Either way I bought it immediately because I too have been having a hard time finding a decent priced suit in my size.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corniche

Reaction score
Nice thread I am european 48 1,92 cm tall and just 72 kilos. A walking spaguetti
laugh.gif
Edit, Boss is german sizing and they do fatter things than italian. Boss should fit americans, not me , too baggy!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
Nice thread

I am european 48

1,92 cm tall and just 72 kilos. A walking spaguetti
laugh.gif

Edit, Boss is german sizing and they do fatter things than italian.

Boss should fit americans, not me , too baggy!

Yeah most of HB is crap, but I have found some slim suits at the outlets.

wildchild

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My first post on these boards so I'll keep it brief.

I'm 6'0 and 140lbs.

I live up here in Canada and the only luck I've had with suits is through Zara.

Zara's "medium" sizes fit like a dream. The pants are almost the perfect length as well. I have never needed to get anything from there adjusted!

I did once try on an Armani collezioni suit in 38 and that, too, fit like a dream, but it was a bit out of my range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads