• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

38L jackets/suits - the latest thread

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and a stone or so heavier than you. I wear a 38R - I think a 38L looks too sloppy, too long. Height wise you are right in between an R & L, personally I would stick with the the Regular IMO. Also, my guess is you can/should be wearing a 36. There are a few makers which I can take a 36 in.

aragon765

Reaction score
Helpful thread, thanks all. I have participated in most of the earlier 'skinny suit' threads, but missed this one.

I have found that RL Black Label 40L is a pretty darn good fit OTR, and I am 6'4", +/- 170lbs (cyclist build). Before the BL, I was pretty much resigned to only getting MTM suits. The only issue I have is that RLBL is a pretty specific cut, and I would not want a closet full of them as I would be worried they would look dated in 5 years. But it is nice to have an option that is (somewhat) available...

It seems that the other OTR options for a 38L are quite suspect in the quality department (Kenneth Cole, Hugo Boss, Ben Sherman, etc....), which might be ok for casual use/wear, but will not hold up over the long haul.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I'm 6'2" and a stone or so heavier than you. I wear a 38R - I think a 38L looks too sloppy, too long. Height wise you are right in between an R & L, personally I would stick with the the Regular IMO. Also, my guess is you can/should be wearing a 36. There are a few makers which I can take a 36 in.
It depends on the maker. Yes, sometimes the long is TOO long, which results in the "sloppy" look your refer to. But a 38R jacket that only reaches halfway down ****** doesn't look so good either
smile.gif

laphroaig

Reaction score
I seem to be a 36L even though I have a 38" chest. If anyone ever sees such a beast, I'd like to hear about it, even if I won't believe you.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
I seem to be a 36L even though I have a 38" chest. If anyone ever sees such a beast, I'd like to hear about it, even if I won't believe you.

Even 36L is easy to find in germany-- it's size 90 (38L is their size 94). Try amazon.de, get a german proxy, or join my quest to find german web sites that ship to the USA.

derv

Reaction score
What is the rule of thumb for when you would size to a L versus a R? I am right at 6', however recently was sold 4 suits that are 40L...but now I know I am a true 38 - but perhaps between an R and L.

Inseam is 32".

TIA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads