• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

36L - the DEFINITIVE thread

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Due to some good response to the definitive 38L thread, here's the info I have on that rare, mythical beast, the 36L, and even the rarest Pokemon of all, the 34L.

What are the measurements of a 36L?

Chest around 19'', length (from bottom of collar) around 31.5-32'', sleeves 25.5-26'', shoulders around 18''. Note that except for the chest, the measurements of the jacket length, sleeve and shoulder are identical to a 38L.

Where to buy 36Ls?

1) Marks & Spencer - this is the Mecca of the 36L pilgrim. No, it's not Ralph Lauren and it's not fully canvassed, but a 36L beggar can't afford to be a chooser. Marks & Spencer's Signature line of suits is designed by bespoke superstar Timothy Everest and I have been EXTREMELY happy with their slim (but not skinny) fit, design and quality. Very good, rugged fabrics (Everest mentioned somewhere that since they buy fabric in bulk they can get such nice ones in an inexpensive suit), slender cut pants, and plenty of suits in 36L (and some boys suits in 34L!). Their suit lines include Sartorial (traditional English cuts with pleated pants) and the aforementioned Signature (modern cut, flat front pants), which I recommend. M&S ships to the USA for a reasonable price (20£ = $30).

2) Europe - The 36L is relatively common in Europe, compared to the USA. It's labelled 36L in the UK, 46L in Italy and France, and 90 in Germany.

3) America - I don't believe there is a single US brand, retailer, or online store that sells 36L. Anyone?

4) Gilt.com - I saw some 36L and 38L in Gilt's J. Lindeberg sale in June 2009.

Altering 38R or 38L

Since the shoulders, sleeve length and jackets lengths of the 36L are identical to 38L, a 38L with waist suppression from your tailor will be a pretty decent fit. But still too roomy in the upper chest.

36R that can pass?

I noted in the 38L thread that the more expensive and/or European a suit, the longer its sleeves and jacket length typically are, so that many suits tagged 38R come close to a 38L. Not so much the 36. Yes, expensive and Euro suits tagged 36 will be longer than Banana Republic's midget-sized 36R, but the difference in length rarely comes close to a 36L.

Who makes 36L?

As noted above, I have 36Ls from Marks & Spencer that I am very happy with. I have an Ermenegildo Zegna 15 Milmil 15 sport jacket tagged 34L (European 44L) that is identical to the 36L measurements above. Hugo Boss sells 36Ls in Europe. J Lindeberg is another. I'm sure there are many others in the European market.

Exercise/eat some pizza

Guys, I understand this topic is irrelevant to most of you, but to the handful of us with these measurements, it's not very helpful to tell us "eat a cheeseburger" or "exercise". While undoubtedly good advice, these are our measurements and we're trying to find clothes that fit us well, now. That's what SF is all about.

34L?

As noted above, the Zegna jacket I have that's tagged 34L has identical measurements to a standard 36L, but that's not always the case. The only place I know to order new 34Ls is the boys' section of Marks & Spencer.

I'll continue adding info as I find it.

hiki

Reaction score
Boss' sizing is a little wider compared to some other european brands as they mainly produce their suits for middle-aged slightly overweight middle-class men, at least when it comes to their black label main line. Strellson for example is usually cut slimmer than Boss. Also those Boss Red label "Hugo" items are also slimmer than the main line, especially the Hugo shirts.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
3) America - I don't believe there is a single US brand, retailer, or online store that sells 36L. Anyone?
I believe that I have mentioned this before. I have two 36XL suits that I would like to get rid of. 250 each. PM me for details i.e. pics and dimensions.

ydave77

Reaction score
Great thread. Very helpful info here. I just bought an M&S slim fit suit. Will add my thoughts to this thread after receiving it.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of someone who is a 36L ? That must be an interesting shape.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a 36L, but I went into a store called MODA, and they had suits that went all the way down to 32. I had never heard of the store but all the jackets were made in Italy that I looked at and were mostly non blend fabrics. I would guess that since they go down to odd sizes like 32, they might also carry a 36L. It could be worth checking out, anyways.

kuupio

Reaction score
Earlier today, I discovered a selection of 36L suits at a Giorgio Armani outlet store in Orlando, Florida.

darkbat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
it's basically someone tall and thin who's wearing a suit that actually fits, as opposed to swimming in something way too big.
Yeah but being a 36L can't be too healthy.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is 18" shoulders standard on a 36 coat? I thought 36Rs were 17-17.5 standard, no? I would have imagined that 36Ls would be about the same.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Pics of someone who is a 36L ? That must be an interesting shape.

Only in the United States.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads