• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

36: The Thread

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
I've never thought to try youth sizing -- general wisdom has suggested that if I was a 34 I could get away with it, but 36 is too clearly in the adult weight class.

GQhustler

Reaction score
I'm size 36 and I have two suggestions for you guys: Kent Wang for shirts and Tom Ford for suits.

Kent Wang shirts fit me better without a single alteration than any MTM shirt I've gotten. If I ever went bespoke for shirts, I would want the final result to fit like my Kent Wangs. My only complaints - and the only reasons my entire shirt wardrobe is not Kent Wang - are that he has limited fabric choices and I don't like the point collars on his shirts. I don't wear these with ties.

Same thing with my Tom Ford suits. They fit exceptionally well right off the rack. A few minor alterations and it's perfect. I've never found a suit to fit this well, not even RLBL. A few examples below, the 2nd suit being straight off the rack without a single alteration:

03TFGrayFit001-1.jpg

03TFGrayFit012-1.jpg

03TFGrayFit009-1.jpg

BrownTFfit3018-1-1.jpg

BrownTFfit3015-1-1.jpg

BrownTFfit3019.jpg

BrownTFfit3009.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a true 36 regular. The biggest problem with being a 36 is that you can rarely just go to one place and buy everything you need. Shirts one place, suits another, etc. Made to measure is a blessing for men like us, however, sometimes I prefer just to walk in and buy something and that can be very difficult.

ethan

Reaction score
GQHustler, those suits look great on your, but I think the sleeves are kind of long. Where can I buy Tom Ford suits?

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethan
GQHustler, those suits look great on your, but I think the sleeves are kind of long.

As he stated in his response, the 2nd suit had not been altered yet.

El Jack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQhustler
BrownTFfit3015-1-1.jpg

Now that's a suit. I'm a few years from Tom Ford suits being feasible, but thanks for the inspiration.

faketrain

Reaction score
I'm a 36 as well, very frustrating never being able to find my size off the rack. I sometimes find that many 36s tend to be far too large for my frame. Very expensive going to the tailor to alter suits and coats to have them fit reasonably well.

Watchaholic

Reaction score
Great thread, am a 36 too. Will have to start hunting some decently priced Tom Ford stuff looking at those pics!

Icarium

Reaction score
My measurements are a little strange. I've got narrow shoulder bones and need about 17.0" width across the back, but my chest is 37" or even a little over. My problem is finding a 36R that has small enough shoulders and like 40" (circumference) in the chest. All the really slim brands that fit my shoulders have 38" chest. Bespoke honestly seems the best option, but I don't have the scratch for that unfortunately. Not alot of options.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
My measurements are a little strange. I've got narrow shoulder bones and need about 17.0" width across the back, but my chest is 37" or even a little over. My problem is finding a 36R that has small enough shoulders and like 40" (circumference) in the chest. All the really slim brands that fit my shoulders have 38" chest. Bespoke honestly seems the best option, but I don't have the scratch for that unfortunately. Not alot of options.

Made to measure! It's the stepping stone to bespoke

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miles Gloriosus
I'm going to quote myself every single time one of you faggots talks about buying kid's clothing.
Don't do it.

If you think most outerwear like coats and jackets are not cut like a box for both adults and youth, you are a ******* moron. the **** is not sculpted and does not need to be

rdaws

Reaction score
Went shopping for a sportcoat this weekend. Went to Hickey Freeman, Burberry, Zegna, Saks, Brooks Brothers, and Nordstrom - not a single 36R to be found. Finally found ONE at Paul Stuart... and it was a $2000 Phineas Cole.

Have had the best luck with BB0 from Black Fleece... always purchased online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics