• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

35 yrs olds - old enough to carry off a hat?

Flashman

Reaction score
Sirs

An odd question granted.

But, let me explain.

I have MANY hats - baseball caps with racing car motifs, some ralph lauren and hacket etc...

Plus, this summer a lovely Seville (Panama) hat.

As a shaven headed bald gent...i felt that this autumn/winter i would forego the usual bland 'wooly hat' option (as i have to set it off ,quite badly, with a 2 or 3 piece suit) for a black fedora!

So having been to Bates earlier in the year for my lovely panama - a few weeks ago i returned to try out a fedora...!
I tried on a few blacks for size.

The ever helpful gent suggester not a wide brim fedora as i am only 5 7" tall and have no hair....so went for a medium brim one! We struggled with the right size as one size was a tad too big and the other a tad too small...(unlike the panama which was perfect!)

So he spent afew minutes 'steaming' the slightly smaller one and it fit fine!

When i returned to the office i got some comments and laughter - Bogarde etc was shouted by some twats!

I took i on the chin - cos i must say it looked rather dashing (at least to me).

But i must say i feel like an alien as i rarely if ever see any other gents on thr City of London donning a hat of that type....am i being too OTT?

I attach a photo of my hat (mine is in black)

burlington.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could be a special exception, but I've never seen a man look earnestly good in a hat who wasn't old enough to have worn hats back when they were regularly worn.

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You could be a special exception, but I've never seen a man look earnestly good in a hat who wasn't old enough to have worn hats back when they were regularly worn.

Thats awfully kind of you - i rather wished i was not an exception. I must say i do get a lot of second glances....partly maybe because i look a lot younger than my 35 yrs suggest (i would be considred to be late 20s by most).

But i take some comfort from the fact the the Johnny Depp/Christian Bale movie 'Public Enemies' gave the old fedoras a good showing!!!

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea that you have to be X years old to wear something is how such things are consigned to the dustbin of history.

As with suits, colors other than black are better for general use.

Don't buy hats "sized" as small, medium, large, etc. Buy ones with proper hat sizes.

Brim width and crown shape should be decided to harmonize with the shape of your face and the size of your head. Your height is not important.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nonsense.

The key to wearing a fine hat is not to be self conscious. Just put it on your head and go.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
You're certainly old enough. You have to get used to it yourself, and wear it with confidence. There will always be naysayers. Holdfast in the WAYWN thread is a good example of a younger fellow in the UK wearing a fedora well.

Black would not have been my first choice (well, or my second or third). I think grey or navy would have been better.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few men that old are still alive. Hats have been in decline since the second world war. I recently watched some home movies that my grandfather (born in the late teens) made in 1949-1951. He only wears a hat when in uniform (USN), except for a cap similar to a baseball cap that appears a couple of times when he is camping or fishing. His contemporaries (who probably all served in WWII) appear hatless as well. His father (my great grandfather) does wear a fedora whenever he appears outdoors. I am told that my other grandfather did wear hats throughout his life. But he was born at least a decade earlier.

Zintintin

Reaction score
In my opinion most men don't look good in hats. Granted there are always exceptions. But when I look through the WAYWT thread and I see people sporting fedoras and the such it always looks off to me because they really don't carry the look correctly.

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Nonsense.

The key to wearing a fine hat is not to be self conscious. Just put it on your head and go.

Well, my good sir - i certainly have been doing just that!
cheers.gif

LeonM

Reaction score
Is Bates still open? When is that block going to be (shudder) re-developed?

Leon

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zintintin
In my opinion most men don't look good in hats. Granted there are always exceptions. But when I look through the WAYWT thread and I see people sporting fedoras and the such it always looks off to me because they really don't carry the look correctly.

BTW where exactly is this WAYWT thread???
shog[1].gif

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
Is Bates still open? When is that block going to be (shudder) re-developed?

Leon

Very soon.

The LA have deemed that it is going to have to be done so Bates will be moving down the street 'somewhere'.
There was a petition that was set up - but i doubt it had much impact!

Redevelop and get higher rent is the motto i think!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Nonsense.

... and take it off when you are indoors!

otherwise you are not only being rude, but giving people the impression you are just another self-conscious prematurely bald guy.

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
... and take it off when you are indoors!

otherwise you are not only being rude, but giving people the impression you are just another self-conscious prematurely bald guy.

Rest assured i always do.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flashman
I tried on a few blacks for size.
... as the actress said to the bishop. As someone who's about to turn 30 and am beginning to thin on the top, I'm seriously considering hat wearing also. Knit skull caps look very silly and in some situations flat drivers' caps aren't right either - and going without is just too cold. However, as others have commented, I would be looking at shades of grey and brown rather than black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads