• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

34S Suits Anywhere?!

justinzee

Reaction score
I'm 5'7'' and 125. I have a 28" waist. I am 25 years old. I need something that measures about 16.5" from shoulder to shoulder.

For years I've been looking for a business suit that will fit me right and that doesn't make me look like I raided my father's closet (either in terms of fit or style)

Anyone have any ideas where I might look? A Jil Sander 36S (46S) is pretty close, but I would prefer not to break the bank.

Also, any idea of what kind of style I should be going for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm very frustrated...

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the youth sizes? Check Brooks and Hickey out, the boys clothes are generally cheaper too.

level32

Reaction score
I've got pretty similar stats. I'm 5'7" around 133 w/ 26/27" waist. I think the EU44 or 34R at H&M will fit you perfectly fine. Might need to get it slightly tapered in the waist though but nothing major.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four In Hand. He's a forum member and he has a number of very nice suits in size 34 that won't break the bank.

justinzee

Reaction score
Wow...those hickey boys suits don't come cheap! Anyone bought one of those? I'm thinking size 16...

They do look nice though...

As for Brooks Brothers....they don't seem to have much of a selection...

I'm gonna go to H&M to check them out this weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic!

Any other labels with decent boys lines?

canisestinvia

Reaction score
I think what you'll see when you try on kids sized suits is that there will be ample room around the midsection. It's almost as if the 16's are "husky" sizing. I'm not sure what tailoring will be able to fix. This will come, oddly enough, with a pair of paints that will require some squeezing to get into. Regarding the 34 from h&m, be wary of purchasing online. You need to check it out in person to see for fit as well as if you're willing to live with its poor quality. The one I have had a weird chest and the shoulders look odd. For me, the ralph lauren black label 36 short works out pretty nicely (I have 10 lbs on you with similar height and waist). I know you're looking a decent value, but I just wanted to toss that in there so you can perhaps try on something off the rack to see how it might fit. I know its tough to get an idea when practically everything out there is oversized. Lastly be wary of buying anything just because it's a 36s or whatever. Realize that what you need also is a slim cut to go with your stature. My brother came home once with a couple burberry suits in 36s that he found for me at Off 5th. I was excited, but once I put it on, there's no way I could have worn that. Armholes were huge and my hand looked like it was being swallowed. Anyways, this has been my experience. Good luck in your search.
Originally Posted by justinzee
Wow...those hickey boys suits don't come cheap! Anyone bought one of those? I'm thinking size 16... They do look nice though... As for Brooks Brothers....they don't seem to have much of a selection... I'm gonna go to H&M to check them out this weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic! Any other labels with decent boys lines?

EdenResident

Reaction score
Do not buy kids suits. Most of them fit incredibly awful, even the "high-end" ones from RL, BB, etc.

Unfortunately, the only store that consistently carries 34 suits is H&M but most of them are boring black or gray suits and the material is absolutely crap. Your best bet is to go with made-to-measure. Check out Thick as Thieves. It's not cheap but it's probably the only option at this point. I'm a size 34 myself so I know how it is.

Albern

Reaction score
Hey Justinzee,

Where are you located? Here in Toronto, Ontario Canada there's a mens store that specializes in clothes for guys who are 5'8" and under http://www.shortmanbrowns.com/. There service is quite good and they carry various brands like Hugo Boss, Pal Zileri, and Samuelsohn among others. Expect to pay under $1,000 CDN for a two piece suit (fussed however) but they do have a lot of on sale items right now. I don't know if they can do out of country orders or how comfortable you would be in doing so, but give the Queen Street store a call and find out.

Hope this helps.

I'm 5'7'' and 125. I have a 28" waist. I am 25 years old. I need something that measures about 16.5" from shoulder to shoulder.

For years I've been looking for a business suit that will fit me right and that doesn't make me look like I raided my father's closet (either in terms of fit or style)

Anyone have any ideas where I might look? A Jil Sander 36S (46S) is pretty close, but I would prefer not to break the bank.

Also, any idea of what kind of style I should be going for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm very frustrated...

justinzee

Reaction score
So I went to H&M. Not impressed. Even after taking into acct. the price, the quality is wanting...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got pretty much the same measurements as you.. (although 5.5'', 130 lbs. 30 waist) I'll repost my responses, and check out the thread below
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I have a 7 inch drop and have found the following to have worked for me: (roughly priced in order) D&G Martini line ($2200), Pal Zaleri ($1600), Z-Zegna($1100), Hugo (red label) ($1200?), H&M slim fit (black label) ($300) PS - right now I own a few from H&M, if I had all the money I wanted, I'd buy the Zaleri in a second. Beautiful fabric, nice smoothe curves, just a dream to put on. The D&G, Zegna and Hugo all fit me well but felt more like "fashion" clothes, more like style but not class. The Zaleri felt like real craftsmanship, luxury, etc.
and also, see: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...92#post1673092

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
I'm 5'7'' and 125. I have a 28" waist. I am 25 years old. I need something that measures about 16.5" from shoulder to shoulder. For years I've been looking for a business suit that will fit me right and that doesn't make me look like I raided my father's closet (either in terms of fit or style) Anyone have any ideas where I might look? A Jil Sander 36S (46S) is pretty close, but I would prefer not to break the bank. Also, any idea of what kind of style I should be going for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm very frustrated...
I'm the same height, but about 140lbs with a 30" inch waist and also have problems finding a 34 anywhere. I got an h&M suit (wool) and think that it's a really underrated brand, the quality is not as hyperbolic-ly horrible as people make it out. I'm surprised that no one mentioned Thick as Thieves, they have a more "conservative cut" for business. At $400, I find it to be the best bang for your buck!

Finsen

Reaction score
I wear a 34R at H&M. And here are some other brands that I have tried and think they are pretty close to perfectly fitting me (and reasonably priced):

Club Monaco 36R - very nice fit for me.
Zara 46R - nice fit at chest, but weird shoulders for me
United Colors of Benitton - OK at shoulders, a little bit big at chest

Even though they are labeled as 36/46, you might be able to find something that fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads